SUBMITTED

Unique months

All the places where MP has the data selector the definition of a month and week is a bit off/limited i think.

When I set a range of months I want it to actually look at months (march, april, may etc) instead of cluster of 30 days.

For example. If i set the the timerange to “1 last month” I would expect it to give me data for all of May (current month) and when it set it to 2 last months, it should give me April 1st till current day in May. But what I get now when i set 1 month I get all of may + a portion of April because it gives me the last 30 days. If i wanted the last 30 days I would have set that :P

Is there a workaround of this or can this be added?

6 replies

Here, another example. This is when i set the timerange to “Last 1 week”. But what definition is this 1 week?

• It’s 8 days!
  • Its not starting/ending on Monday (or Sunday for US standards) - its just looking back 7 x 24 hours :(

The definition of a day, week and month are know, because they are correctly shown on the breakdown, but not avalilable in all time selectors for cohorts, events, reports etc.

Badge +2

Hi @sanderoc 

Quite a few points here, and we’ll tackle them all one at a time.

To resolve the first painpoint around seeing a mix of months, you can select the dates in the date picker to be “Since” a certain date (April 1st for example). You can then save and keep the report to run whenever you like, which will then keep the report constantly updated with the most recent information you have collected.

The next two points are similar. The logic in Mixpanel is to show you the date range you select, plus the current Month/Day in your report. This is why the report broken down by months still shows you May, and the weekly report broken down by days shows you 8 days (last 7 days, plus today). The reason for this is because of how data timestamps are collected when you send us data, and we want to make sure that if there is any data delay in you sending us Events they get put in the right place/bucket. The good news is here that you are seeing 7 *complete* days, and the unfinished current day. You can check this by changing your report to be a Line Chart view.

Finally, you can change the day your periods start in the settings for your organisation. If you are the organisation owner you can go to Settings > Organisation Settings (top right of your project) and then under “Overview” you can scroll to the bottom and change when your week/month/period starts.

I hope this all works and makes sense, let me know if you have further questions.

Cheers,

Matt

Hey Matt, thank you for your response. But will all respect, I know all of that. I know how it works. I am asking for the ability do have it work differently. Because all the things you describe above don’t cover the usecases i need.

There are many usecases, many of them to complex/case specific. But one that presents it properly:

I would like the have cohort that show me the number of users that have placed order in this month and the 2 months before. What I DON’T want want is a report that looks back 90 days. I want a number that gives me a number from March 1st till today. And as soon as July starts, that windows moves up from March 1st to April 1st.

In other analytics tools that would be a simple query/settings of past 3 months, but MP does not over that option.

Any meaningfull MoM or QoQ report would need this. Because a month is a set time, not just 30 days…

Will add more examples when I run into them again.

Maybe in the Date Range selector for events/cohorts/graphs etc just as the concept of “Calender Weeks” and “Calender Months”?

Last 3 Calender Months = count back 3 calender months (May + April + Feb)

Last 3 Months (existing) = count back 90 days

This way I could say: Show me all the users that purchases in the same month when they signed up, instead of showing users that purchases within 30 days of signup.

Can this topic be moved to Ideaa Suggestion board? I see i created it in the wrong board.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Hi @sanderoc —

I moved your idea into the Ideation section where others can vote for it, and we can log a product gap on your behalf!

Thank you for taking the time to share this feedback. The product team has gone back and forth on this is the past  — how to define a “month” (calendar vs 30 days) — so I know they will appreciate the additional context.

Hi @sanderoc —

I moved your idea into the Ideation section where others can vote for it, and we can log a product gap on your behalf!

Thank you for taking the time to share this feedback. The product team has gone back and forth on this is the past  — how to define a “month” (calendar vs 30 days) — so I know they will appreciate the additional context.

Why choose and not just offer both :D