IN BETA

Unique count over aggregation in insights report

• 30 October 2019
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

I would like to be able to count unique values for aggregates of an event property. Currently if I select Unique and an aggregate, the graph still shows the Unique user counts, see screenshots below:

Unique over product id, I expected to see number of different values for Product id booked. However these are the same numbers as below, which is just unique users doing Product booked:

moinakb 18 days ago

Hello @sindri , @tomslade15 , @leticia.chijo : calculating the distinct property value count is now supported within Insights as a closed beta, and we’d love to have you try it out.

More details in this thread: https://community.mixpanel.com/announcements-6/insights-report-new-changes-coming-comment-to-get-access-to-beta-4205

If you’d like to get access to this, please send us an email on insights@mixpanel.com and we can set your projects up!

Moinak

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Hi @sindri@bokun.io,

I am not sure if I am understanding your Idea completely. It sounds like you would like to have the unique count of Product Viewed event, and add up the value (aggregate) the number of times the Product ID property for all of the times this event happened in the selected time range?

Taking a step back, our aggregation feature will add up the value of the event property for all of the times this event happened in the selected time range. This means that it will have to use the SUM data function(or other available data functions).

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi @sindri: this is Moinak, and I’m a Product Manager here at Mixpanel. We’re working on adding support for you to get UNIQUE COUNT of property values, so stay tuned! Thank you for writing in!

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

@moinakb thank you for the additional information. I have now moved this idea to Development stage!

@sindri We filed a product gap on your behalf with our Engineering and Product Development team. Please make sure you are subscribed to this Idea - via the Subscribe star button at the bottom of your original post - to get emailed updates on its progress.

This makes total sense. I was wondering why there is only sum, avg, etc. and not a Total / Distinct function available when I choose aggregate by event attribute.

Please, go for it ;)

BR, Carsten

Any news on this? Facing a similar problem and unable to proceed :frowning2:

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

@came Thank you for sharing interest in the need of having Unique Count of property value as well! We filed a product gap on your behalf with our Engineering and Design team. 

If you are not automatically subscribed to this Idea, please make sure you do by clicking on the subscribe star button  - at the bottom of the original idea post - to get emailed updates on its progress.

@leticia.chijo  I noticed that you signed up for Community with a different email address than your Mixpanel Account. In order to submit the product gap, would you mind sending me a private message with your Mixpanel email? Once I receive it, I can log a product gap on your behalf as well and update our backend with your email. 

I’ll be here!

Hey @stephanie & @moinakb,

I think I have a similar problem where, in our product we have multiple user_ids against an account_id, and we often want to know how many accounts have experienced Event ‘X’. We pass the account_id of our users into the event properties of all our events, and we want to be able to not only count the unique User_IDs against Event ‘X’, but also the unique Account_IDs against Event ‘X’. Will the new ‘unique count’ feature enable me to calculate this? Is there a way we can calculate this right now?

We currently can’t find a way to do this in Mixpanel and getting this capability is going to be critical to whether or not the team can get any value out of the tool, as we’re currently forced to load the data to Snowflake & then Looker.

If it will fix this, are there any updates on how the unique aggregation build is progressing?

Thanks,

Tom

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hello @sindri , @tomslade15 , @leticia.chijo : calculating the distinct property value count is now supported within Insights as a closed beta, and we’d love to have you try it out.

More details in this thread: https://community.mixpanel.com/announcements-6/insights-report-new-changes-coming-comment-to-get-access-to-beta-4205

If you’d like to get access to this, please send us an email on insights@mixpanel.com and we can set your projects up!

Moinak