IN DEVELOPMENT

Tracking Anonymous User Data Coming from Two Different Devices

• 20 September 2019
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

"How do I associate 2 sets of anonymous data to the same user?

To explain the problem I am having let me use airbnb as an example. Here is my user story:

Event 1: View Home Page

Event 2: View Paris
Event 3: Select House

Event 4: Sign-up , email = jim@gmail.com -- Note: according to documentation I would alias here

Event 5: Book House

Now months later the user is travelling again. They have just purchased a new computer so they have no cookie.

Event 6: View Home Page

Event 7: View Rome
Event 8: Select House

Event 9: Log in, email = jim@gmail.com -- Note: according to documentation I would identify here

Event 10: Book House

Here is my question. How do I make sure events 6, 7 and 8 are connected to jim@gmail.com? "

"I have read all those articles and that question none of them answer my question @IvanMuniz. In this example you book right after log in. but what about the events before the login?

event 1, 2, 3 are tracked as distinct_id="aaaau8yhj7n8_89yil_98u8" stored in the cookie

event 4, 5, 9 and 10 are tracked as distinct_id="jim@gmail.com", because the user is logged in
however,

event 6, 7, 8 are tracked as distinct_id="bbbbbjuiyg7_h7guy87_iuh79g" because the user is using a new device.

How do I track all 3 of these distinct_ids in mixpanel as 1 user?"

- @jhooey (Original Idea post here)

1 reply

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

@jhooey @sviridov @stephendb9 @kyle Thank you for expressing interest in this Idea! I have gone ahead and filed a product gap on your behalf with our Engineering and Product Development team. Make sure you are following this Idea - via the Follow button in the right hand column - to get emailed updates on its progress.

Other users interested in also having a product gap logged on their behalf as well, please make sure to write comment on this Idea thread expressing interest and details of your use case for it!