SHIPPED

The Flow doesn't show custom events

• 25 January 2020
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Hi,

We have started emitting one type of event called Landed whenever our customers land on any page. After that, we have created a bunch of custom events based on Landed event and currentURL property to differentiate on which page our customers land on. However, the Flow report doesn't show custom events with their custom names but rather with names of the origin event.

Is it possible to show custom events with their full names in the Flow report?

Thanks,

Marko

stephanie 1 month ago

@bmarkons @amishollie I’m happy to announce that you are now able to select custom events and custom properties in flows.  Here is the public documentation on custom properties, and here for custom events. 

If you have any feedback, please feel free to share it on our Ideas subcategory

Cheers!

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Hi @bmarkons,

Unfortunately Flows will only show the raw events and not custom events. Since custom events are combinations of multiple events, it would be odd for a custom event to appear in the middle of a flow instead of just seeing the actual events triggered.

Regardless, I will use this opportunity to create a product gap to the Product team for this feature to be available. Please make sure you are subscribed to this Idea - via the Subscribe star button at the bottom of the post - to get emailed updates on its progress.

I understand your use case that is a bit different but we do have a possible solution. Have you seen our Custom Properties? With custom properties, you can combine property values into one and filter within Flows by that custom property. In your case, you can combine values of Current URL into one Custom Property and be able to filter by values on Flows.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Thank you @stephanie_MixpanelTeam for the response!

I have set up the custom properties for each page Landed event is triggered for, however these custom properties are not shown in the EXPAND EVENTS BY PROPERTY list. I want to see Flows report where each event is expanded with the custom property. Is there any way to achieve this?

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Hi @bmarkons,

Sorry for the confusion on this. Going back to your original question, you could expand the "Landed" event by the event property of "Current URL". I have attached a screenshot on my dummy project to help see how to replicate on your own project.

Would this help see the specific page/url on the "Landed" event in Flows? If not, being able to expand an event by a custom property in flows is in development to be released soon. Sorry if this has caused an inconvenience in the meantime.

Please let me know if you have any other questions on this. Happy to help!

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Hi @stephanie_MixpanelTeam,

I am aware of expanding events, thanks for letting me know I am on a good path :) However current URL property contains some user specific IDs and I don't want to separate events per those IDs. I want to group them together. So my way of thinking was to create the custom property 'page' with IFS rule containing multiple regex matches and in the flow report expand by that property.

Do you have an ETA for feature to expand an event by a custom property? We are currently evaluating mixpanel if it can suit our needs and it seems that this feature is one of the things we really need :)

Thanks a lot for detailed response.

Came across this thread while looking for the same thing. I’d also like the ability to use a custom property formula to aggregate a lot of URLs that have distinct IDs in them. Do you know if that will be released soon?

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

@bmarkons @amishollie I’m happy to announce that you are now able to select custom events and custom properties in flows.  Here is the public documentation on custom properties, and here for custom events. 

If you have any feedback, please feel free to share it on our Ideas subcategory

Cheers!

Hi Stephanie, 

For me, it actually seems odd not to have the possibility to use the custom events. If I do custom events is to help me go deeper into analysis without development. Otherwise, it loses sense if these custom events are there only in some parts of the app. For me, this feature is USELESS like that; here is a picture of why: 

I hope you guys can find a solution for this gap. Thanks a lot :)