COMPLETED

[Lexicon] Change display names for property values

• 25 October 2019
  • 2 replies

Badge

To follow up on this thread, here's the same one but in the Ideas space! (I couldn't find if it was reposted there, as suggested by @cherise_Mixpanel Team).

Programmers use enumerations (list of allowed values) all the time, and it's easiest to send those to mixpanel, rather than the properly formatted, readable string, since those can change easily. Enumerations also often happen to be in english, whereas your team that wants the reports work in another language. So it would be super helpful to be able to rename property values.

Another use case I have, is if an enumeration has a logical order to visualize it in. Let's say the status of something can go from TODO -> DOING -> DONE.

If I ever want to go to insights and plot a chart, or see a table with these 3 statuses, I can't show them in the right order, it will only be possible to order them alphabetically (i.e. DOING -> DONE -> TODO), which does not make sense, or order them by value, which could make sense if you're lucky enough.

So it'd be really convenient to rename them as follows: "1. To do", "2. Doing", "3. Done", and boom, all your reports can be ordered properly.

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hi @Florian,

Thank you for providing detailed feedback on editing property values via Lexicon! I have gone ahead and filed a product gap on your behalf with our Engineering and Product Development team.

Please make sure you are following this Idea - via the Follow button in the right hand column - to get emailed updates on its progress.

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

@Florian

Following up on this, we're pleased to let you know we’ve recently launched a feature called Custom Properties, which lets you take existing event or people properties and create new properties with Excel-like formulas.

Custom Properties empowers you to modify your property values with simple-to-use Excel-like formulas. If the data exists in Mixpanel, Custom Properties can let you derive new properties that match your business logic to help you answer questions about user behavior without your development team needing to send in new properties.

Please take a look at our Custom Properties article to see use cases and learn more!

Mixpanel