IN BETA

insights: allow "count distinct" of property values for events

Userlevel 3
Badge

Example:

When I query the event "open drawing success", I want to know how many unique files a user opens.

We report "file Id" with every "open success" event, so in terms of handling the query - it's should be no problem to do AVG on count-distinct of unique file_id grouped by userId.

moinakb 18 days ago

Hello @scottk , @victor , @tomspence24 , @came , @nathanaelg : calculating the distinct property value count is now supported within Insights as a closed beta, and we’d love to have you try it out.

More details in this thread: https://community.mixpanel.com/announcements-6/insights-report-new-changes-coming-comment-to-get-access-to-beta-4205

If you’d like to get access to this, please send us an email on insights@mixpanel.com and we can set your projects up!

Moinak

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Thanks for the idea!

While we are reviewing it I did want to bring up a workaround that could help. If you feel comfortable with JQL, you could groupBy your desired property (or properties) and then get a count of the property values.

Here is an example that would return a count of unique city property values for all events sent between 11/14 and 11/15:

function main() {
return Events({
from_date: '2018-11-14',
to_date: '2018-11-15'
})
.groupBy(["properties.$city"], mixpanel.reducer.count())
.reduce(mixpanel.reducer.count())
}

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

@victor Thank you for sharing this feedback! We filed a product gap on your behalf with our Engineering and Product Development team. Make sure you are following this Idea - via the button in the upper right hand corner - to get emailed updates on its progress.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

This has been a basic need for us for quite some time! Answering questions around how many total pages, forms, buttons etc users are utilizing. Given how many properties we could use this for and the need to pivot data quickly to see trends over time vs cumulative totals doesn’t make JQL a easy scalable workaround but it is good to have that option.

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

@scottk Thank you for sharing this additional feedback as well! I have gone ahead and filed a product gap on your behalf with our Engineering and Product Development team. It is still in review to be considered for our product roadmap. Please make sure you are following this Idea - via the button in the upper right hand corner - to get emailed updates on its progress.

Badge

This 100% has to be included in Mixpanel....it's a common feature in many other analytics packages which is missing from MP.

Our use case is that we pass our unique user ID as an event property on every event and so we'd like to be able to run a query that allows us to quickly see how many unique users have conducted that event along with how many times that event has been triggered. The 'distinct ID' in MP does not work for us because we have multiple users on the same device/machine and hence the MP 'uniques count' sees 2 people on the same device as one person whereas we need to be able to see them as 2 people...hence an ability to count our own unique user ID by event would be fantastic.

I've voted...how quickly can you make this happen guys!?

Badge

Hi, has there been updates on this? It would be quite handy!

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

@tomspence24 @NathanaelG Thank you for sharing this feedback! We filed a product gap on your behalf as well with our Engineering and Product Development team. Currently this Idea is still in review to be considered for our product roadmap.

If you haven't already, please make sure you are following this Idea - via the button in the upper right hand corner - to get emailed updates on its progress.

Badge

Hi all,

Any update on this one? We'd love to see this in the platform ASAP!

@michael - further to your JQL query above, how can I see the count of a given event_property split by another event_property?

i.e. we pass a user_id as an event property and also pass an environment as an event_property (Dev, UAT, Prod etc...)....I'd like to count the number of unique user_ids within each environment.

At the moment I've got this, but this is giving me the unique number of user_ids across all envs...I'd like them split by the environment.

function main() {
return Events({
from_date: '2019-08-27',
to_date: '2019-09-21'
})
.groupBy(["properties.$user_id"], mixpanel.reducer.count())
.reduce(mixpanel.reducer.count())
}

Thanks,

Tom

I think this idea is similar if not identical to https://community.mixpanel.com/submit-an-idea-15/unique-count-over-aggregation-in-insights-report-3546

...in development for 1 month now. Fingers crossed 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hello @scottk , @victor , @tomspence24 , @came , @nathanaelg : calculating the distinct property value count is now supported within Insights as a closed beta, and we’d love to have you try it out.

More details in this thread: https://community.mixpanel.com/announcements-6/insights-report-new-changes-coming-comment-to-get-access-to-beta-4205

If you’d like to get access to this, please send us an email on insights@mixpanel.com and we can set your projects up!

Moinak