Solved

What are the pros and cons of separating my Dev and Prod projects?

• 2 October 2018
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge
We currently have a dev project and are getting ready to implement on our prod. Would it be wise to add on to our current project, start a new project, or just get rid of our dev data? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
icon

Best answer by scottk 18 October 2018, 03:30

There are a lot of cons when mixing development data with production data. In flux event and property names as well as values can clutter your production project. Combine that with the number of developers adding tracking logic trying to keep your data clean just doesn’t scale. Development is like writing a draft it will take several iterations to get your data to look correct. Production should always be final result. I can’t think of a Pro here other than not having to manage a dev key versus a prod key. I recommend always having a separate project for development and recommend each developer having their own project on their account. I will say there is a difference with tracking ineternal data in production. I would recommend tracking internal staff users just like any other user with your application. As long as you have a strategy to flag internal vs external to target just your client data. The benefit of tracking all production data is that you will be aware of all factors affecting your application.

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

There are a lot of cons when mixing development data with production data. In flux event and property names as well as values can clutter your production project. Combine that with the number of developers adding tracking logic trying to keep your data clean just doesn’t scale. Development is like writing a draft it will take several iterations to get your data to look correct. Production should always be final result. I can’t think of a Pro here other than not having to manage a dev key versus a prod key. I recommend always having a separate project for development and recommend each developer having their own project on their account. I will say there is a difference with tracking ineternal data in production. I would recommend tracking internal staff users just like any other user with your application. As long as you have a strategy to flag internal vs external to target just your client data. The benefit of tracking all production data is that you will be aware of all factors affecting your application.

Badge +1

You should definitely have PROD / DEV.

Dev environment is a draft where developpers will send tons of data that means nothing to your project.

Userlevel 1
Badge
To add on to what @robin and @scottk already said, Mixpanel actually makes it pretty easy to employ a staging strategy. They offer a "reset" feature that I use a lot in my staging environments. There've been so many times when I accidentally flooded my dev environments with bad data, misnamed events, wrong attributes, etc. If I have to, I just reset my project data and try again. That way I feel much more confident about tracking things in production.