Solved

Tracking anon users

• 22 January 2019
  • 5 replies

Badge

We use a custom distinct id to do `mixpanel.identify('<custom_id>')` We aren't focused on signup conversion at this point. But, we'd like to have Profiles feature show up for anonymous users, is it possible without having `$email` property set ?

icon

Best answer by michael 15 February 2019, 20:57

Hi @ybvkr, I think the crux of your question is centered around creating people profiles without needing to set a $email people property- however, please reply if that is not the case.

If so, that is absolutely something you can do. You can create or update a people profile record with any kind of people property with a people.set call, so you are not required to have the email address of a user to make this record. By default, if you don't pass any of your own people properties, you will have these properties set or updated.

One important thing to note: In order to send profile updates, you must also call mixpanel.identify in addition to the mixpanel.people.set.

Hope this helps!

View original

5 replies

Badge

It should be possible, I think. Or one thing you could do is assign anonymous users emails aliased to your domain. So say for each anonymous user, you generate a custom_id to track session activity, and then use custom_id@example.com as the email sent for that user.

This is assuming your domain's example.com. And then once the user logs in, you can then update that user's email with the actual email

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Hi @ybvkr, I think the crux of your question is centered around creating people profiles without needing to set a $email people property- however, please reply if that is not the case.

If so, that is absolutely something you can do. You can create or update a people profile record with any kind of people property with a people.set call, so you are not required to have the email address of a user to make this record. By default, if you don't pass any of your own people properties, you will have these properties set or updated.

One important thing to note: In order to send profile updates, you must also call mixpanel.identify in addition to the mixpanel.people.set.

Hope this helps!

Badge
Adding to @tobi's answer, you can create a unique customer Id, store it inside users local storage so that you can also track multiple logins by the same user instead of creating new profile for every visit.
Userlevel 2
Badge

Hello, community

I think @ybvkr wanted to say that it would be great to see the user-lever activity feed on Mixpanel Explore feature for anonymous users.

I'm expecting something like that: I call mixpanel.identify() without assign any custom userId (the distinct mixpanel ID is valid for me, I don't want to change it) and then I'm able to see the user event feed, his actions in the app/on the web, without setting any people props.

@tobi, your idea sounds good but I think there should be some other way to do it correctly.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

@vladi_strilets -

Thank you for sharing your use case! If you post this in the Ideas section (rather than Q&A) we can log a product gap on your behalf and it will get better visibility from our product team and can get votes from the community. Also, when you post as an Idea, you can "follow" the Idea and receive emailed updates on the progress.