Solved

Social media app: Should I include both a "Follow" event and a "Receive Follow" Event

• 29 January 2021
  • 1 reply

Hi there- super new to data analytics.

I’m implementing analytics for a basic social media app (think Instagram) and was wondering what events I should have when User 1 follows User 2. We also have some complexity with “requests to follow,” but this is the basics:

• “Follow” event: triggers when User 1 follows User 2
  • “Receive follow” event: triggers when User 2 receives the follow from User 1

These events would happen simultaneously. Would this redundancy useful?

icon

Best answer by Muffaddal Qutbuddin 30 January 2021, 06:36

Hello @peterluba, No tracking receive events is not redundant. It can be a case that for basic reporting you will be using follow event most of the times but receive will come in play when you do more advance analysis.

Suppose you want to understand the behavior of users after they have been followed. How’d you do it? via receive event. Similarly,  you want to target receiver user via notification/email/sms you will need that event here too.

I will also advice to add receiver user information in follow event and follower user information in receive event such as name and id. Doing so you can merge things if you plan to export the raw data out. 

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Hello @peterluba, No tracking receive events is not redundant. It can be a case that for basic reporting you will be using follow event most of the times but receive will come in play when you do more advance analysis.

Suppose you want to understand the behavior of users after they have been followed. How’d you do it? via receive event. Similarly,  you want to target receiver user via notification/email/sms you will need that event here too.

I will also advice to add receiver user information in follow event and follower user information in receive event such as name and id. Doing so you can merge things if you plan to export the raw data out. 

Mixpanel