Solved

reporting pageviews

Userlevel 3
Badge

We want to report pageviews.
I saw this article: https://help.mixpanel.com/hc/en-us/articles/115004568086-The-mp-page-view-Event
1. Are there any cons in reporting pageviews such as overloading the system or a need to switch to more expensive plan?

2. In the article it’s written we can disable the pageviews report by using mixpanel.init("Insert Project Token", {track_pageview: false}) And then it’s written that in order to report pageview I can use: mixpanel.track("Page View")

So if I use mixpanel.init("Insert Project Token", {track_pageview: false}) and then for specific page I use mixpanel.track("Page View") it will report the pageviews of that specific page and not the rest?

icon

Best answer by willyv 15 May 2019, 19:31

Hey @Nadav,

After reading the article, it sounds like mp_page_view was something that was collected by default but since then has been deprecated and not ingested into Mixpanel. It could be that on your console "mp_page_view" can show up but it will not be ingested into Mixpanel. If you would not like to see it at all, then you can call

mixpanel.init("Insert Project Token", {track_pageview: false})

However, if you do want to track page views, you can do so by calling

mixpanel.track("The name of your page view here")

When we started tracking with Mixpanel, it was very helpful to do a tracking plan. At first we started tracking many page views on our site, but only two really mattered to our metrics and they were counting against our data points. I would suggest creating a tracking plan prior to implementing. There is also a pretty cool community post on tips for getting started here https://community.mixpanel.com/questions/839/recommendations-for-getting-started.html and implementation course here. Hope this helps you out!

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hey @Nadav,

After reading the article, it sounds like mp_page_view was something that was collected by default but since then has been deprecated and not ingested into Mixpanel. It could be that on your console "mp_page_view" can show up but it will not be ingested into Mixpanel. If you would not like to see it at all, then you can call

mixpanel.init("Insert Project Token", {track_pageview: false})

However, if you do want to track page views, you can do so by calling

mixpanel.track("The name of your page view here")

When we started tracking with Mixpanel, it was very helpful to do a tracking plan. At first we started tracking many page views on our site, but only two really mattered to our metrics and they were counting against our data points. I would suggest creating a tracking plan prior to implementing. There is also a pretty cool community post on tips for getting started here https://community.mixpanel.com/questions/839/recommendations-for-getting-started.html and implementation course here. Hope this helps you out!

Userlevel 3
Badge

Great answer! I already made a tracking plan. I'll use the track method as you've suggested.

Many thanks,

Nadav