Solved

Recommendations for tracking users that we've surveyed

• 20 March 2019
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

We're using MP to send in-app messages with a link to an online survey. I have a few questions:

1. When defining the target criteria, I want to limit my audience to a specific number of users (e.g. 500). Is that possible?
  2. How do I track that this message was sent to this user, so we exclude them from future campaigns?
  3. Can we tag users that participate in a campaign to our CRM? Namely, Intercom.

icon

Best answer by johnaustin 30 March 2019, 01:07

@Allen121 -

1. You can certainly set criteria to limit which users get your message— for example, you could decide to send the message to users in a specific region, with a specific sign-up date, or email domain. Mixpanel's help center has a slew of articles dedicated to targeting users (linked here), which may be helpful to you.

You could also take advantage of the A/B testing functionality in messages to limit how many users are getting the message— for example, if you have 1000 users in explore, you could send a control to 50% of your users if you only want the message to go to 500 users. That being said, you will see a 'Message Sent' event for both the variant and the control, so you would need mind the variant property if you want to send a second message to only the control group down the road.

2. Take a look at this article: https://help.mixpanel.com/hc/en-us/articles/115004690006-Target-Users-Based-on-Prior-Messaging

3. There is a 'Message Sent' event for each message that you send from Mixpanel— so you can see which users were sent the message. If you are sending your Mixpanel data to Intercom then that should do the trick!

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

@Allen121 -

1. You can certainly set criteria to limit which users get your message— for example, you could decide to send the message to users in a specific region, with a specific sign-up date, or email domain. Mixpanel's help center has a slew of articles dedicated to targeting users (linked here), which may be helpful to you.

You could also take advantage of the A/B testing functionality in messages to limit how many users are getting the message— for example, if you have 1000 users in explore, you could send a control to 50% of your users if you only want the message to go to 500 users. That being said, you will see a 'Message Sent' event for both the variant and the control, so you would need mind the variant property if you want to send a second message to only the control group down the road.

2. Take a look at this article: https://help.mixpanel.com/hc/en-us/articles/115004690006-Target-Users-Based-on-Prior-Messaging

3. There is a 'Message Sent' event for each message that you send from Mixpanel— so you can see which users were sent the message. If you are sending your Mixpanel data to Intercom then that should do the trick!

Userlevel 2
Badge

@john.austin Thanks!

1. I used a combination of filters/attributes to limit the message to ~500 users. I wish they had an explicit filter that could do this. Creating a control group could help.
  2. We are sending emails, so this is irrelevant to us. But good to know if we start sending emails via MP.
  3. Thanks, this was an oversight on my part and I was able to find this.