Question

How do you usually track page views

• 31 December 2020
  • 5 replies

I’m confused about tracking page views, Mixpanel doesn't ingest pageviews directly and a general assumption around is that page views are dead https://mixpanel.com/blog/the-death-of-the-pageview/

But I think for us, it still is a very important part of a funnel, I need to see home many landed on a product page, clicked add to cart and then bought the product. If I only track people clicked on add to cart I would miss the CTR for the add to cart button.

Now since we’re tracking views how do I track it. Do I keep separate events for Product View, Listing View or keep a single View event and pass the type and title in properties? 

5 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I would  have a generic pageview event with page type, page url etc. as property, which goes for all pages. But I would also have a separately named pageview events for some critical pages like product, cart, etc. where I may want to send specific properties which may not be applicable to all pages. These pages will send the generic as well as specific events.

I would  have a generic pageview event with page type, page url etc. as property, which goes for all pages. But I would also have a separately named pageview events for some critical pages like product, cart, etc. where I may want to send specific properties which may not be applicable to all pages. These pages will send the generic as well as specific events.

@Jaya  What’s the upside of having two pageviews? Why not just include a type property? A Pageview component with a property type = product

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

By having specific events, you enable Mixpanel to run better analysis for Impact, Signal and any “why” features that are designed to help you understand why your user sticks etc..

By having specific events, you enable Mixpanel to run better analysis for Impact, Signal and any “why” features that are designed to help you understand why your user sticks etc..

@robin okay that makes sense, how do you generally track link and button clicks? Having a genering Link or Button click event and then for each important button and link?

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Yes that’s the idea.

You can keep a generic one for basic button that you can then split by pathname, page, lang, location and for important one they have their own name like “Pricing Button Clicked”

Mixpanel