Question

How do I: Track the first time ever a user logged into our sites

• 11 July 2019
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Our services work on a subscription basis. When we give new clients access to our sites we track usage in the first 90 days and monitor onboarding.

We want to track the first time ever a user logged into our sites. Does anyone know how to do this?

I had two ideas. A) on the existing event we have for logons we add a Boolean property “first session: true / false”.

b) Create a completely new event different to the one we have logons. Smthg like “First Session”

Can I do smthg like this in Mixpanel?

3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi @kontriant, you are on the right track! The set up depends on how you define a first-time user.

As an example, if you want to define the first-time a user performs the login event, then you could set up super property when they arrive at your site. Their Tracking First-Time User article outlines in more detail how to set it up and how to do analysis. In addition, you can use this in cohorts, I posted this on an older post here.

Hope this helps!

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Hi @dianneb

I define a first time user just as you described. the first time a user performs a login event ON ANY of our sites. I read your article and consulted with my developer team. 2 questions:

1. Since the super properties are stored locally in the user's browser, if the user clears their cookies, they'll look like a first time user again the next time they visit the site. true or false?

2. Since cookies can't be "shared" between each of our products / sites , this would only be useful for tracking a user's first login to each individual site, and not the first time they log into ANY mintel site. You'd see a Session Start with "First Visit: true" the first time they visit site A, and then another the first time they visit site B, another the first time they visit site C etc, etc. true or false?

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi @kontriant! For your questions, I am assuming both are true being that Mixpanel user the local cookies to keep track.