Solved

How do I build profiles for entities other than users

• 21 December 2020
  • 5 replies

Badge

Let’s say I have an app that lets users create playlists. I want to be able to be able to create profiles for playlists in the same way as I do for users. I would like to be able to pull up a given play list and see what songs are on in, how many people are following it,  whether it is a draft of published, when it was last updated, etc. I want to be able to segment and analyse playlists in the same way that i can with user profiles.

Is this possible? How do I learn more about how to do this. I don’t even know what terms to search for at the moment, so any pointers would be much appreciated.

icon

Best answer by jxsh 16 January 2021, 06:34

For anyone else following this, I managed to get on a call with the Mixpanel support team and I can definitely say that what I am looking for is the Groups feature.

This is a paid add on. My initial hesitation here is whether or not group is just for groups of users. I can clearly say that you can make anything a group. So you could make a group of users (like a company) but you can also makes groups out of anything (playlists, article, ticket, etc).

More on the details here https://help.mixpanel.com/hc/en-us/articles/360025333632

Basically setting up groups lets you run all the same analysis you can with a user but from the perspective of a playlist or a ticket or a company. 

You also get user profiles for each of you group entities. 

So this is exactly what I was looking for. 

Thank you @robin  and @cherise  and the Mixpanel support team

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Hello @jxsh 

You are looking for the group analytics which is an add-on. 

If not, you could have a second Mixpanel projet where the distinct_id would be the playlist_id

Badge

Thanks @robin 

I checked out groups and it doesn’t seem to be what I am looking for. Are you suggesting thatI make every single song it’s own group? That seems like such a hack. Is that the only way?

Creating a seperate account doesn’t seem to solve the problem either. If I were to do that, then I would have the same problem in reverse. How would I identify users if I am using unique Ids on songs?

I don’t feel like what I am asking is unreasonable. I would like to know which users have at least one song on their playlist, at the same time I would also like to know which songs have at least 5 listens, or which songs have been shared more than x times.

If this is something that I can do in mixpanel then how do I instrument teh application to be able to see data from a users point of view and from the songs point of view?

@cherise can you confirm that this is not something mixpanel allows me to do?

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

May be you are looking for a more traditional data analysis problem with Metabase / Looker that reads your database and run SQL analysis over it. 

Also, take a look on this page https://www.loom.com/share/82a392661df84192b67aac0eae9d4215 where Moinak is showing great example with Insights report, might help.

Badge

Thanks @robin 

Just so I’m clear, you and @cherise are saying that <ixpanel does not allow you to analyse data from any other point of view than users (or groups on the group plan). For example, if I want to see data organised from the song’s perspective (which users listened to a given song, or how many time a specific song was shared and by whom)  this is not something mixpanel allows you to do.

I just want to clarify as I am looking for a definitive answer. I am unclear if this is a limitation of the tool, or if it is possible and I just haven’t figured out how to do this yet. For example, is this not something that could be done via custom jxl queries?

Badge

For anyone else following this, I managed to get on a call with the Mixpanel support team and I can definitely say that what I am looking for is the Groups feature.

This is a paid add on. My initial hesitation here is whether or not group is just for groups of users. I can clearly say that you can make anything a group. So you could make a group of users (like a company) but you can also makes groups out of anything (playlists, article, ticket, etc).

More on the details here https://help.mixpanel.com/hc/en-us/articles/360025333632

Basically setting up groups lets you run all the same analysis you can with a user but from the perspective of a playlist or a ticket or a company. 

You also get user profiles for each of you group entities. 

So this is exactly what I was looking for. 

Thank you @robin  and @cherise  and the Mixpanel support team

Mixpanel