Solved

GA/GTM/Mixpanel - When do you use each of these ?

• 14 June 2019
  • 1 reply

Badge

Hello there ,

We use Mixpanel /GA/GTM for our analysis at work .However,we do not have definite rules that define which data should come from where .

My question here is - if your organization also uses GA|GTM & Mixpanel ,then how do you plan if the tracking needs to be set up on GA or Mixpanel ?

icon

Best answer by arthurc 1 July 2019, 22:55

Hey @Bhargavi,

A couple of things to keep in mind - while you can certainly implement Mixpanel via GTM, there are a few things to keep in mind regarding a GTM/GA implementation if you care about tracking meta-data beyond high-level page-view type events to give yourself insights into deeper behavioural analysis

GTM does not allow the creation of data layer objects - the necessary component for any custom tracking - on mobile, and subsequently the capturing of crucial meta-data stored within the data layer objects. This means that you will need to implement Mixpanel directly, and not through GTM.

Given that the developer resources required to set-up granular event-tracking (basically anything beyond a high-level 'page view' type event) and more granular, important meta-data (properties such as 'investment type', 'account type', etc. for a finance app, for example) for even GTM on web is more or less the same as it would take to implement Mixpanel directly (since it would require passing this granular tracking in a data layer object,) I'd strongly recommend implementing Mixpanel directly on both mobile and web.

Now, should you choose to move forward on implementing Mixpanel directly, you will want to plan out your implementation. I would recommend reviewing the following resources:

1. Segment - What events should I track?

2. Mixpanel - Plan Your Implementation

You can then map back the data you want to track using GA/GTM and Mixpanel's own coding syntax (since the methods used to track data in both platforms are similar but ultimately different from one another.)

View original

1 reply

Badge

Hey @Bhargavi,

A couple of things to keep in mind - while you can certainly implement Mixpanel via GTM, there are a few things to keep in mind regarding a GTM/GA implementation if you care about tracking meta-data beyond high-level page-view type events to give yourself insights into deeper behavioural analysis

GTM does not allow the creation of data layer objects - the necessary component for any custom tracking - on mobile, and subsequently the capturing of crucial meta-data stored within the data layer objects. This means that you will need to implement Mixpanel directly, and not through GTM.

Given that the developer resources required to set-up granular event-tracking (basically anything beyond a high-level 'page view' type event) and more granular, important meta-data (properties such as 'investment type', 'account type', etc. for a finance app, for example) for even GTM on web is more or less the same as it would take to implement Mixpanel directly (since it would require passing this granular tracking in a data layer object,) I'd strongly recommend implementing Mixpanel directly on both mobile and web.

Now, should you choose to move forward on implementing Mixpanel directly, you will want to plan out your implementation. I would recommend reviewing the following resources:

1. Segment - What events should I track?

2. Mixpanel - Plan Your Implementation

You can then map back the data you want to track using GA/GTM and Mixpanel's own coding syntax (since the methods used to track data in both platforms are similar but ultimately different from one another.)