Question

Distinct id change after login

• 20 January 2021
  • 5 replies

Badge +1

Hello

It’s normal/good that my Distinct id change by email after login? attached capture

I’ve the ID merge enable in my settings and I only use identify user_email in Login and Registration. Is that good that is seen in capture or should it not happen? because I thought that there you should always see was the distinct id (alphanumeric code) no email….

Regards

5 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Hello @pixsolution changed distinct id means that alias() was not called for that user and identify() was called directly for that user. This is usually the case with old users that were already part of the website before mixpanel implementation and they login on which identify is called. 

Badge +1

ok @Muffaddal Qutbuddin  thanks for your answer I guessed that ... but is it good that that happens? because in the tutorial https://help.mixpanel.com/hc/en-us/articles/360021749032#adding-tracking-code I see that it always keeps the alphanumeric code in the distinct id and I understand that it is the right thing to do, right?
And yes my case is that I already have registered users and I have not yet implemented mixpanel, I am starting on that, then do you recommend calling the alias and identify in the login and in the create account? both methods on both sites to avoid that? or what would be your recommendation?

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

No, never call alias on login as that will create more than one profile for same user. Alias only on signup.

and yes changed distinct id don’t have any major issue, nothing to worry about. That’s just the behavior of mixpanel.

Badge +1

ok thank @Muffaddal Qutbuddin  then I will only use identify in login and registration and to include in mixpanel the users that I had registered before implementing mixpanel I suppose I will have to add people set method (name, email) at the login too? apart from in the signup.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

yes you can set name and email on login as well not a problem.

Mixpanel