Solved

Creating New Users Cohort

• 11 December 2019
  • 3 replies

Badge

Following the post about Lifecycle analysis, how do I create a New Users cohort?

@Marco from Mixpanel Education - maybe you can share screenshots for all the cohorts you mentioned in the post?

icon

Best answer by marco 24 January 2020, 18:51

Hey @sharod,

Here's an example of the cohort builder for a new user cohort. Here are the assumptions for this example:

1. The key event that matters to me for this product is "Watch Video".

2. The usage interval that aligns with this product is 7 days.

Based on that, I define new users a someone who performed "Watch Video" in the last 7 days (that's A in the screenshot below), but did NOT perform "Post video" between 14 and 7 days ago (B), or 21 to 14 days ago (C).

The whole point of B and C is just to make sure that this is actually a new user. So depending on your use case, you B and C could be longer. The main thing would be to avoid accidentally counting a user that was active a long time ago and then came back, cause you'd wanna put that user into a resurrected cohort, not a new user one.

For my product here, I don't think I have any users who were around before April 23rd of this year, so I don't have to worry about that.

Here are some screenshots of how I would define the other cohorts with the same key event and usage interval:

RETAINED (perform event in two consecutive intervals)

RESURRECTED (performed event, then didn't, then did it again in the most recent interval)

DORMANT (performed key event in previous usage interval, but did not in the current one)

And notice how I did rolling range with all the dates so that it's regularly looking for users who meet that criteria!

hope this helps! —

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hey @sharod,

Here's an example of the cohort builder for a new user cohort. Here are the assumptions for this example:

1. The key event that matters to me for this product is "Watch Video".

2. The usage interval that aligns with this product is 7 days.

Based on that, I define new users a someone who performed "Watch Video" in the last 7 days (that's A in the screenshot below), but did NOT perform "Post video" between 14 and 7 days ago (B), or 21 to 14 days ago (C).

The whole point of B and C is just to make sure that this is actually a new user. So depending on your use case, you B and C could be longer. The main thing would be to avoid accidentally counting a user that was active a long time ago and then came back, cause you'd wanna put that user into a resurrected cohort, not a new user one.

For my product here, I don't think I have any users who were around before April 23rd of this year, so I don't have to worry about that.

Here are some screenshots of how I would define the other cohorts with the same key event and usage interval:

RETAINED (perform event in two consecutive intervals)

RESURRECTED (performed event, then didn't, then did it again in the most recent interval)

DORMANT (performed key event in previous usage interval, but did not in the current one)

And notice how I did rolling range with all the dates so that it's regularly looking for users who meet that criteria!

hope this helps! —

@marco Hey Marko. This elaborates the static aspect of New/Returning/Dormant user cohorts building process but what if I want to look at the trend of these users over time.

Is there a solve for that? I want to set a report which shows me day over day trend of new users coming on to my platform. Does the cohort adjust accordingly?

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Hi @kashyapbarua: when you take these cohorts with the relative date ranges (last 7 days, between 14 and 7 days ago..) and visualize the trends over time, we dynamically compute the cohort size as of each of those data points.

New users cohort definition:

Visualized cohort trend over time (weekly breakdown):

Hope this helps? Let me know if you have any other questions.

Best,

Moinak