Question

Can I have User 1 record an event on behalf of User 2?

Userlevel 2
Badge

User 2 sent an invitation to user 1. The event is not confirmed until user 2 accepts the invitation. Is there a way to increment the User Property of User 2 when User 1 accepts?

5 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hey @Leo_daplr,

Just want to make sure I am understanding correctly. The scenario is, User2 send an invitation to User1. When User1 accepts the invitation from User2, you want to set an incremental numeric people property on User2 people profile. But only when User1 one accepts the invitation?

If so, I am assuming User1 needs to press a button to accept the invitation from User2. When the button "accept invitation" is pressed, you can set the incremental property to be set and also make sure it routes to back to the distinct ID of User2. This might take some logic in your application to map back. For the incremental numeric property call in Mixpanel, it might look something like this

mixpanel.people.increment("Sent Application Accepted", 1);

Hope this helps!

Userlevel 2
Badge

I'm having the same problem with this. There is an event that I want to track that is done by User 1 that should increment a property of User 2. However, what ends up happening is the people properties of User 2 end up becoming the people properties of User 1. At the moment, mixpanel doesn't allow blocking that default functionality.

https://help.mixpanel.com/hc/en-us/articles/115004601523-Block-Default-Mixpanel-Properties

Badge

@frank_bryant This doesn't really answer the question, as it's just the user recording an event on behalf of themselves as usual.

For example in my case: when User 1 likes User 2's post, an event should be recorded on User 2's behalf "Received a like" even though they are not the ones logged in. Is this possible?

I want the event to show up on the user's profile and stream like any other - not to be a separate event somewhere that has some "recipient ID" linked to the user but is hard to find.

Did you find a solution @julio_cast @Leo_daplr

Userlevel 1
Badge

@devdanny @Leo_daplr It sounds like this might be a product gap that @julio_cast has already posted in the Ideas section here https://community.mixpanel.com/idea/2100/ability-to-disable-default-people-properties-using.html. Commenting or creating your on Idea might help get more traction on it!

Userlevel 2
Badge

I think the only way you can do it is by doing a server side mixpanel api call.