Solved

Best practices to track subscriptions

• 27 January 2021
  • 3 replies

Badge

Hi

I am implementing events for a Freemium /subscription business model.

Can anyone recommend best practices?

My suggested flow would be:

My specific questions are:

Is it better to differentiate between “Free Trial” and “Subscription” with two different events?

icon

Best answer by Muffaddal Qutbuddin 27 January 2021, 17:21

@oriol-roda thanks for the additional details. So you can maintain 4 state for the user property as you mentioned following could be there values.
1 - Free (user hasn’t opted for trial or subscription) 
2 - Trial (opted for free trial)
3 - PRO (paid customers) 
4 -Cancelled. (they cancelled their subscription)

You can also split cancelled state into ‘trial cancelled’ and ‘pro cancelled’ indicating at which state user cancelled the subscription. This will get you more granular data points. 

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Hello @oriol-roda , So by default users are on free trial right? You can do two things first is send the event with property of account type whenever users account type changes. Second is set a user property say account_type = free by default and update the type as uses purchase subscription. you can also set dates so e.g first purchase date, last purchase date etc for user profile.

Badge

Muffadal,

Thanks for the answer.

I think I have an issue of nomenclature :-D

By default users are “Free”, however they can opt in to a paid subscription with “14 days free trial”. In this case they get access to PRO features and get charged 14 days after they start.

So we have 4 states:

• Free
  • PRO in free trial
  • PRO that already paid
  • Cancelled

My quiestion is regarding how to manage the PRO Free trial.

Thanks!

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

@oriol-roda thanks for the additional details. So you can maintain 4 state for the user property as you mentioned following could be there values.
1 - Free (user hasn’t opted for trial or subscription) 
2 - Trial (opted for free trial)
3 - PRO (paid customers) 
4 -Cancelled. (they cancelled their subscription)

You can also split cancelled state into ‘trial cancelled’ and ‘pro cancelled’ indicating at which state user cancelled the subscription. This will get you more granular data points. 

Mixpanel