Question

Working with users and case IDs

• 28 August 2020
  • 1 reply

Hi all, 

I’m new to Mixpanel and this is my first post, so please bear with me if I’m asking rookie questions :-)

We have something best defined as a custom built ticket system internally at our company. Users create tickets, and these tickets are then moved between columns, just like Trello or any other kanban board. 

My question is:

How do we best approach tracking tickets, more precisely each ticket’s time in each column, as well as their relation to users? And can we use cohorts for this (like “tickets created between date x and y has been sitting z period in column A)?

I hope I explained it well enough… 

Btw, we use Segment to send data to Mixpanel.

Best,

Thomas from Copenhagen

1 reply

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

@thomasbjerring —

No such thing as a rookie question, you are in the right place! I’m glad that you posted here.

If you are tracking ticket creation as an event, you can track the time that it was created as an event property. In order to tie it back to the user that created the ticket, you’ll want to create a user profile. This article introduces how users, events, and user profiles are all linked through a distinct ID.

To track the tickets time in each column, I would suggest tracking ticket movement from one column to the next as separate events. When Mixpanel tracks an event, it is immutable—meaning once the event is sent, you cannot edit or update the event. That said, if you track a sequence of events, you can create a funnel report to see the time to convert between the two steps (column A to column B) and know how long it takes for your ticket to move between steps. 

Cohorts more specifically reflect user actions — so you could create a cohort that reflects moments for each user such as “Users that created a ticket between date x and y, but have not triggered the event that moves a ticket from column A to B.”

You can also create cohorts from Funnels, like the one that I suggested above.

I hope this helps! Please let me know if I misunderstood your question in anyway.

Cherise

Mixpanel