Question

What string format does identify() accept?

• 1 September 2020
  • 7 replies

Badge
  • Frequent Contributor
  • 5 replies

I’m trying to use an email address as a argument for identify() but it doesn’t seem to work. When I use a random string it complains that it’s not in GUID form. What kind of formats does it accept?

7 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Emails are okay, I’m using it since the beginning. Do you have more contexte to add? Like an email that didn’t pass the identify

Badge

@robin Hey Robin, thanks for the reply.

I’ve been getting some errors like “errSameIDs” and/or “Identified and anon ID are same in the identify request”.

Badge

Nothing special about the emails, it’s just Peter.Petersen@customdomain.com for example.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

First, be careful with uppercase words. Robin@swapcard.com and robin@swapcard.com is not defined as the same identify().

What is your way of testing? Based on your past actions, mixpanel store data in cookie and localStorage.

Badge

Hi Robin,

I’ve installed the tracking code onto my site and took a look at the live view. I can see the events coming in properly but it gives me an failure inside the identify event.

Failure Reason:

errSameIDs

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Did you try in incognito mode on your own pc ? 

Badge

Okay, so I found out that on logout it emits the user but with all the properties as “”, I think it resolved my email anon and identified email as identical.

I’ve called mixpanel.reset() in the else.