Solved

Tracking rapidly fired events & showing in correct order

• 3 March 2020
  • 2 replies

So, there are two issues I’d like some help with:

1) What's the best implementation for the following scenario?

I have a scenario in which data needs to be tracked every 200 milliseconds for a few seconds. See below:

// The `bar` function is called every 200 milliseconds

func bar(...) { Mixpanel.mainInstance().track( event: event, properties: properties ) }

I want to track multiple categories, each of which has a value. As an example:

[ "x": [ "x1": 1, "x2": 2, "x3": 3, . . . "xn": n ] ]

I’d like to know how to best track this. I have tried this already, but the way the data is represented in the dashboard is hard to read because the text extends off the screen. Furthermore, it just looks like a string in any insights view, and is not able to be typecast, so I can't perform any analyses on it.

As an alternative, I'm thinking of trying to make each category here it's own property, would that be the correct approach? It seems it would perhaps complicate analysis, but I'm not sure.

2) Events seem to be displayed out of order in the Users > Explore view.

We're saving the UTC timestamp in events under the "Date" property. When viewing events sent quickly after one another, we can see that sometimes they are not ordered chronologically.

For example, I'll see an event sent at 2020-02-25T08:18:03, then one above that at 2020-02-25T08:18:02, then one above that again at 2020-02-25T08:18:03.

How can we ensure that events are shown in the order we have sent them?

I'm happy to provide any more detail needed.

icon

Best answer by stephanie 11 March 2020, 23:24

Hi @narekvmkr,

A list property contains a list or array of several properties contained in one value. I’d recommend to use list properties whenever you have more than one value for a given property. I am curious to see what you are facing when the text extends off the screen and not being able to type cast it. Are you able to share a screenshot of this? 

Regarding your second questions, is this something you are looking at in a user profile history or in the explore report menu? I screenshot with an example would help to see where you are looking at this in Explore. 

I’ll be here to further dig into this with you! 

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Hi @narekvmkr,

A list property contains a list or array of several properties contained in one value. I’d recommend to use list properties whenever you have more than one value for a given property. I am curious to see what you are facing when the text extends off the screen and not being able to type cast it. Are you able to share a screenshot of this? 

Regarding your second questions, is this something you are looking at in a user profile history or in the explore report menu? I screenshot with an example would help to see where you are looking at this in Explore. 

Hi @narekvmkr,

Hi @stephanie  

I am also facing the same issue as mentioned in the main thread. I am looking at user profile history as well as live view.

While implementing mixpanel, I realize the events which being fired at same timestamp doesn’t show up in correct order as mentions here: https://community.mixpanel.com/submit-an-idea-15/be-able-to-capture-milliseconds-on-events-3276 events are only captured in seconds and not milliseconds and that’s cause lot of problems in funnels and I am not sure how to make sure, If funnel is showing correct data and also it’s hard to understand user journey. 

Please help us out.