• 8 December 2021
  • 5 replies

This is on a Segment <> Mixpanel set up

Consider the following timeline:

• user A grouped to Group A
  • user A grouped to Group B
  • user performs “Uploaded Photo” event

Questions:

• can user A be grouped to multiple groups?
  • is this “Uploaded Photo” event attributed to group B or group A?

5 replies

We have the same question - we have some users that are part of multiple groups.

In our example, we use groups to represent companies. And we have some users that are consultants and have accounts on different companies.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

@themillenialn00b and @Analytics ML Are you using the same user profile property to detect the groups? If so, this property will be over-written so it only shows the latest answer. A workaround could be to have a user profile property for each group (depending on how many you have) and then use boolean so technically Group A and Group B for the same user could be true and you can use that criteria to create cohorts and they would show up in both groups within group analytics.

Let me know if that would work for you respectively?

Hi @Jaz-CommunityManager  We have 1000’s of groups

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

@themillenialn00b thanks for confirming, your “uploaded photo” event would be attached the user but you can always test this by looking up a user’s profile. Are these “groups” tracked as event properties, user properties or both?

Hello!  Just hopping on this question because I have the same question -- we have users who are members of multiple groups.  We’re handling this with a user property that’s a list which contains multiple values -- for example, “user_group” with values [0,3,6,7].  

Will Mixpanel handle this?  I’d love to be able to run a report for group 0 and see that user’s activity, but also see it under groups 3, 6, and 7 when I view activity for them as well.