Solved

Setment-Mixpanel - Traits not getting stored as people/super properties

• 3 March 2020
  • 1 reply

Hi, we urgently need your support to figure out why people properties are not getting stored in our Segment-Mixpanel implementation.

In the Segment.com config we've set the following traits as Super Properties:

image.png

But when we receive events with those properties, they do not get stored as People properties:

image.png

We thought that with that configuration, we only needed to call the Track method and didn’t work.  So we ended up traying to call both Identify & Track and that also is not working! We are calling those events Server side, with the following code:

SegmentService.segmentIdentify({ type: "identify", traits: { name: "Anonymous User", createdAt: userStored.createdAt, signUp_complete: false }, userId: userStored._id.toString() });
SegmentService.segmentTrack({ userId: userStored._id.toString(), event: 'Anonymous User Conversion', properties: { signUp_complete: false, createdAt: userStored.createdAt } });

As a last reference, here is the other configurations we have in Segment-Mixpanel implementation:

image.png

image.png

icon

Best answer by stephanie 4 March 2020, 01:34

Hi @happhe

I am not a segment guru, but it's possible that this is something to check on Segments end. Unfortunately I cannot see your pictures but I can go off some of the information you have shared. 

I did some digging and found their documentation in storing people in segment here. After reading their documentation it looks like if you are using a server-side library, the people feature will not work. 

Note: this only works in Analytics.js and our mobile SDKs.

There is also a connection setting in Segment you will need to set to use people + calling identify 

Traits to set as People Properties

If you only want to set specific traits as People Properties in Mixpanel People, you will need to:

• Enable the “Use Mixpanel People” setting.
  • List the traits you want to see in People here.

Use Mixpanel People

This will send all of your identify calls to Mixpanel’s People feature.

We do have a help article on our end that can be useful for you to refer to as well  https://help.mixpanel.com/hc/en-us/articles/115004560846-Segment-Set-Up-Guide.

I hope this helps provide some guidance!  

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Hi @happhe

I am not a segment guru, but it's possible that this is something to check on Segments end. Unfortunately I cannot see your pictures but I can go off some of the information you have shared. 

I did some digging and found their documentation in storing people in segment here. After reading their documentation it looks like if you are using a server-side library, the people feature will not work. 

Note: this only works in Analytics.js and our mobile SDKs.

There is also a connection setting in Segment you will need to set to use people + calling identify 

Traits to set as People Properties

If you only want to set specific traits as People Properties in Mixpanel People, you will need to:

• Enable the “Use Mixpanel People” setting.
  • List the traits you want to see in People here.

Use Mixpanel People

This will send all of your identify calls to Mixpanel’s People feature.

We do have a help article on our end that can be useful for you to refer to as well  https://help.mixpanel.com/hc/en-us/articles/115004560846-Segment-Set-Up-Guide.

I hope this helps provide some guidance!