Question

Opt out tracking from mobile using HTTP Spec

• 18 October 2020
  • 2 replies

Badge

I know that the doc mentioned about using the opted_out_tracking() function to opt out tracking. But in our mobile app, we’re using HTTP Spec and in the doc, there’s no way to opt out a specific user from getting tracked (e.g internal employees). How do we go about this, please?

2 replies

Badge

@cherise any response on this please?

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

@Tenderd —

The reason that we do not have an opt-out method for HTTP Spec is because there isn't a concept of local storage, so there is no place to store a property that says "dont track me" — using HTTP Spec is more or less a list of endpoints and there is no backend endpoint for opting out. 

For your use-case, there are two ways to go about this:

• You can put a condition in your track calls to eliminate internal employees using an if statement or something similar (similar to the methods described below)
  • You can use data views 
  • and apply global filters to your dashboards

For GDPR and Opting users out of tracking, I recommend this resource:

• The exact conditions under which data is sent to Mixpanel server-side is custom configured by the developer of a server side implementation. Controlling an end user’s opt-out state must be built into the tracking logic. The implementation developer should configure Mixpanel data collection methods so that they run only when data should be sent to Mixpanel.

Mixpanel