Question

Move users from Mixpanel projects

• 14 March 2019
  • 2 replies

Badge

Hi,

We launched an iOS app last year that have around 30,000 users on a Mixpanel project. We are building a complete new version of our app and set up a new Mixpanel project for it. We will soon import all our users in the backend from the first version to the new one and I'm trying to understand what would be the best option to set all the users informations as they will not go through a sign up process and I can't do .alias() on the frontend.

What would be the best solution in this case? Should I try to merge user informations from our previous Mixpanel project or is there a way to do .alias() when we move users from our two databases?

Thanks a lot for your help,
Charles

2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

@cdedreuille -

If you’re just porting over Mixpanel users who have already signed up, you do not need call mixpanel.alias() on those users.

The primary purpose of calling mixpanel.alias() is to connect a user’s anonymous events from before a signup event with his post-signup activity on your site or in your app (i.e., linking the user’s previous identifier to a new identifier).

https://help.mixpanel.com/hc/en-us/articles/115004499163-Alias-And-Identify-On-Existing-Users

Are you porting over your event data and people data as well? If you do so, you will want to make sure that the distinct_id of your old and new data is the same.

Badge

Hi @annecamacho,

Thanks a lot for your feedback. We are importing our users on our database, not on Mixpanel. Because it happen on the backend they don't go through the sign up process where the mixpanel.alias() method is.

We put mixpanel.alias() on our logged in homepage and it seems to work as it is updating all users who are going to the homepage with their user data. It's probably not the right solution, but I don't see any other alternative right now. Nothing else worked.

Thanks