Solved

Missing events from Mixpanel API

  • 8 October 2019
  • 1 reply
  • 230 views

Badge

Hi, I have been pulling data successfully from the Mixpanel API for several months now. However, today in some script testing we noticed that we are only getting about 10-15% of the events that we should be getting, and the selection seems to be at random. The response is always successful, though, and we have not gotten any 429s. The size of data returned is anywhere from 200MB to 300MB and does not seem to be consistent, so as far as I can tell it's not a size limit issue.

I'm using the following endpoint, for a single calendar date, without restricting event type:
https://data.mixpanel.com/api/2.0/export/

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!


icon

Best answer by annecamacho 11 October 2019, 21:41

Hey @skota,

I have run into a similar issue before and I understand the feelings with this (so much frustration!). I wanted to suggest some things you can do to help with the numbers you are seeing.

1. Check the script you are running - I have made the mistakenly pulled data on the wrong date, and at times called the wrong call.

2. Make sure you compare apples to apples. By this I mean, if the script you are pulling data is event total count on a certain date, then make sure the report in Mixpanel is also counting in totals and not unique count. Make sure the date matches your script in your report too.

3. If you are comparing data to an external source, make sure the way that the data is captured in the outside source is the same as Mixpanel. For example, Client-side data vs server side data can be captured differently for a log-in event.

4. Lastly, make sure that there are no duplicates your external database or bugs that could cause issues with the numbers you are seeing. Same goes for your MP implementation.

Hope my suggestion help!



View original

1 reply

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hey @skota,

I have run into a similar issue before and I understand the feelings with this (so much frustration!). I wanted to suggest some things you can do to help with the numbers you are seeing.

1. Check the script you are running - I have made the mistakenly pulled data on the wrong date, and at times called the wrong call.

2. Make sure you compare apples to apples. By this I mean, if the script you are pulling data is event total count on a certain date, then make sure the report in Mixpanel is also counting in totals and not unique count. Make sure the date matches your script in your report too.

3. If you are comparing data to an external source, make sure the way that the data is captured in the outside source is the same as Mixpanel. For example, Client-side data vs server side data can be captured differently for a log-in event.

4. Lastly, make sure that there are no duplicates your external database or bugs that could cause issues with the numbers you are seeing. Same goes for your MP implementation.

Hope my suggestion help!


Reply


Mixpanel