Question

import historical data such as user events

• 5 January 2021
  • 3 replies

I want to import historical data such as user events. I need to have events which occurred before setting mixpanel with this project. I tried with https://mcgaw.io/tools/segment-amplitude-mixpanel-csv-historical-offline-user-data-import/#tool-section, but I’ve got the message “data was sent” and the error in console that my csv file is not in correct format.

Maybe somebody have done the historical data import to mixpanel and have advices or link to better importer?

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

You have a few options for importing past events —

Two of them include:

As a rule of thumb, you may see “success” messages as a way to shield a user from trying to guess at credentials. So if you are seeing messages like this, but you do not see any data, I would confirm that you are using the correct credentials — for example, you may need the token instead of the secret or vice versa. 

I used the "import" API to import events in batches of 50. it only works if the events have a "Time" property which is between today and 5 days before.

If I try to import events older than 5 days, they do not appear on my report even though the response from your API is equal to 1. (authentication + data are OK)

I want to import events from an old project into a new one and it's very difficult. Why is it so difficult when it is a basic feature !?

Badge

Likewise @Hydrisbessa 

I was able to import events using batch events, but since it’s only possible for events that happened in the past 5 days it would not suffice my needs.

The problem is that Import events is not working, for no apparent reason. It is returning a success message (like the batch API that I could previously run) but no event is added to my project (both secret key and project key were added). I’m doing it directly from the browser (even though I previously tried from a Python client).

Another question (probably relevant when I solve this): Could you point me to the way the payload data is encoded to be served to the import API? I’m using urllib in Python but is not returning the same result as in the browser

Mixpanel