Question

Events no longer being tracked

• 28 March 2019
  • 15 replies

Badge

I noticed that approx. ten days ago, events stopped being tracked for me. I can see from the network tab in the browser devtools that when I load the page for the first time, a single API request is being made, but after that, no more requests are made.

I've tried reverting our codebase back to a commit before it stopped working, but that didn't work either, so I don't think we broke anything on our side. We've tried it on multiple peoples laptops and made sure any adblockers were disabled, but no luck.

Has anybody encountered this before or know of anything that may have changed in Mixpanel that I somehow missed (I didn't find anything..)?

The single request that's made is:

https://api.mixpanel.com/decide/?verbose=1&version=1&lib=web&token=<token-redacted>&ip=1&_=1553774377659

and the response:

{notifications: [], config: {enable_collect_everything: false}}

I'm using the javascript snippet from the integration guide and am calling mixpanel.track. Even calling:

mixpanel.track("Test");
from the javascript console does nothing. And, like I said, it used to work perfectly!

15 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Hi @ihavenoname- happy to help you debug this. Could you send me a link to a page you are experiencing these javascript tracking issues on so that I can have a closer look?

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

@ihavenoname -

Since you already checked on adblockers and tracking events used to work but it does no longer, I am curious about a few things:

1. Have you recently re-set the project token? If so, you would need to update your token to match the new project.

2. Which browser are you on? Did you test the same browser when you tested multiple users? Some browsers have built in tracking protection that would act similarly to adblockers.

3. Are you on a company network? You mentioned that multiple laptops are not able to send events, so if there was a change to you company network it would affect more than one user.

Let's start there to see if we can narrow in on what is going on.

- Cherise

Badge

Thanks for the response! Much appreciated.

1. I haven't reset the token, but I did paste it in again just to be sure.

2. When I said multiple users, I mean multiple physical people on their own machines using their own browsers tried it. I only tested on chromium myself, but I also used chromium when it did work. I'll try some other browser to double check though.

3. As above, multiple people tried it, everyone working from home from different locations. No VPN. So it can't be that.

Its rather odd as it was working since we added it in late December, up until recently.

Badge

Actually, one other piece of information that may or may not be useful:

The last event seen was in the live view about 10 days ago (it seems to have disappeared now, I don't see it anymore. Hmm), but the last login seen was in late February. I'm pretty sure we've been logging in since then!

Badge

I can't at the moment as its not publicly accessible, but that made me think of the obvious thing: I will set up a page somewhere, just setup with mixpanel with nothing else, and I'll see if it works. If it does, then I have a starting point to move it over to the actual site, but if it doesn't, then I have a page I can share for further debugging. Thanks for the help!

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Great instincts! To build a little off of what I can see in your initial question, it looks like the request you shared is going to our /decide endpoint. This is what returns in-app messages and a/b tests to targeted users, so if you have not created an in-app message or a/b test that this user would qualify for that response is not out of the ordinary.

Some troubleshooting direction in addition to what Cherise has provided below would be to double check that the Mixpanel code snippet is installed in the <head> tags on the page in question, that the token matches your project.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Looking forward to hearing back what you find @ihavenoname!

Badge

Thanks for the suggestions. I will double check and let you know (but its getting late here, so in the morning).

Badge

So, an update! I checked with other people and it turns out, pretty much everyone was using some form of chrome.

It turns out that it does work in Firefox! It does not work in chromuim on linux, chrome on linux and windows or safari on ios.

Badge

It turns out that it does work in Firefox! It does not work in chromuim on linux, chrome on linux and windows or safari on ios.

Badge

Also: debug mode works in firefox, but not in the other browser.

All content blocker and "do not track" are disabled, so that's not it.

Userlevel 2
Badge

I have the same issue! It works fine in Windows Edge, but Chrome on Android or Chrome on Windows... What gives?

Userlevel 2
Badge

see here: https://community.mixpanel.com/questions/539/integration-issue.html

Do not Track solved the issue for me.

Badge

Thanks. Unfortunately, this didn't work for me. Disabling Do not Track didn't make any difference for me, as I mentioned elsewhere :'(

I'm probably going to ditch mixpanel for something else, I don't have time to figure out what's wrong if something else will work out of the box. What a pity...

Badge

Give clearing the cookies the a try, I had a similar issue until I blew out the cookies on the offending pages.