Solved

Event timestamp

• 24 March 2020
  • 2 replies

There doesn't seem to be a provided property for the time an event occurs. I see "time" and "mp_processing_time_ms" in JQL. mp_processing_time_ms appears to match the "Time Stamp" property when looking in the Activity feed for a User. time does not appear to be displayed in the Activity feed. 

However neither seem to be the time an event occurs.

• mp_processing_time cannot be the event timestamp because we have cases where "mp_processing_time_ms" for one event is later than another but this cannot be possible based on the event sequence in our app.
  • time cannot be the event timestamp because it is much later, several hours later, than mp_processing_time, when looking at the same cases.

Is there a different property we can use for event timestamp? Ideally in milliseconds, and available in insight reports too. Otherwise we can just create one ourselves. Just want to make sure there’s not existing functionality.

A related but different issue: events can appear out of order in the Activity feed. Based on the same observation as in the first point.

This issue https://community.mixpanel.com/sending-data-to-mixpanel-11/order-of-events-3136 is related. However the link to “product gap” is broken. And the moderator mentions that time is actually the event timestamp but this doesn’t seem correct.

We are using mixpanel in our React Native app

icon

Best answer by cherise 25 March 2020, 02:39

Hi @fpearsall —

In short, there is not an additional property — especially if you want to break it down by milliseconds.  We edited the link to the related product gap, and I encourage you to share more details around your specific use-case in a comment — from there we will file a product gap on your behalf! 

That said, I can share more context around what we are tracking, how it is represented in mixpanel, and how to better access time within Insights!

The processing time is recorded  when an event is ingested by Mixpanel, whereas “time" is recorded when the event is triggered. Since mp_processing time is based on ingestion, it is possible that this timestamp is after the  timestamp for the recorded “time” — especially with mobile events, if an event is triggered while the device is offline the processing time will be later. 

Also, mp_processing_time_ms will always be in UTC (GMT) time, and “time” is displayed in the time zone specified by the project. This is likely why you are seeing  timestamps for “time” that are after the timestamps for the related mp_processing times.

For more context,  this help doc shares details around these default properties.

It is also worth pointing out that within Mixpanel reports, there is a 2 second grace period.  This is mostly relevant to Funnels, but it may also impact what you see within your Explore report activity feed. 

Lastly — this is likely not the detailed breakdown you are looking for, but have you tried using the “Breakdown” by “Date” feature in Insights? You can use it to breakdown your reports by hour.

Again,  please tell us more about your use case so we can incorporate your feedback into our product! I would love to learn more about what you are working toward.

Thanks!

Cherise from Mixpanel

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Hi @fpearsall —

In short, there is not an additional property — especially if you want to break it down by milliseconds.  We edited the link to the related product gap, and I encourage you to share more details around your specific use-case in a comment — from there we will file a product gap on your behalf! 

That said, I can share more context around what we are tracking, how it is represented in mixpanel, and how to better access time within Insights!

The processing time is recorded  when an event is ingested by Mixpanel, whereas “time" is recorded when the event is triggered. Since mp_processing time is based on ingestion, it is possible that this timestamp is after the  timestamp for the recorded “time” — especially with mobile events, if an event is triggered while the device is offline the processing time will be later. 

Also, mp_processing_time_ms will always be in UTC (GMT) time, and “time” is displayed in the time zone specified by the project. This is likely why you are seeing  timestamps for “time” that are after the timestamps for the related mp_processing times.

For more context,  this help doc shares details around these default properties.

It is also worth pointing out that within Mixpanel reports, there is a 2 second grace period.  This is mostly relevant to Funnels, but it may also impact what you see within your Explore report activity feed. 

Lastly — this is likely not the detailed breakdown you are looking for, but have you tried using the “Breakdown” by “Date” feature in Insights? You can use it to breakdown your reports by hour.

Again,  please tell us more about your use case so we can incorporate your feedback into our product! I would love to learn more about what you are working toward.

Thanks!

Cherise from Mixpanel

Thank you for the detailed information @cherise 

I added a comment to the product gap