Solved

Dashboard TITLE not synchronized when changed

• 13 December 2018
  • 5 replies

Badge

Hi Mixpanel Community,

When editing the title of a chart saved in a specific dashboard and clicking on "Save" right of the title field, the title of this chart is NOT corrected in the dashboard UI

- even after updating the dashboard page

- even if the title displayed on the dashboard has never been edited before from the dashboard itself...

I have thus to edit chart titles 2 times: first in chart detail, then on the dashboard 😕

Could you please correct this bug?

Thx

icon

Best answer by cherise 21 December 2018, 23:29

Hi @Sophie,

Our product team made the decision to keep the 'saving mechanism' for report and dashboard names separate so that reports can be used in multiple dashboards without having to keep the same header.

This also enables users to add a colleagues report to their dashboard without altering the original report, and prevents someone from editing the name of their report and accidentally changing multiple dashboards if the report was used elsewhere.

I hope this helps!

-Cherise

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Hi @Sophie,

Our product team made the decision to keep the 'saving mechanism' for report and dashboard names separate so that reports can be used in multiple dashboards without having to keep the same header.

This also enables users to add a colleagues report to their dashboard without altering the original report, and prevents someone from editing the name of their report and accidentally changing multiple dashboards if the report was used elsewhere.

I hope this helps!

-Cherise

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

To piggyback off of @cherise, the rationale behind this being intended behavior is that dashboards are often more heavily customized for different purposes than individual reports- and we don't want edits to a saved report to unexpectedly impact a dashboard that often ends up being more of a deliverable.

-Michael

Refreshing an old thread here...there is still an undesirable behaviour in the naming of reports and how the names propagate to dashboards. Yes the explanation of @cherise and @michael above makes sense, but I am having an issue where I have renamed some reports and the new name still does not appear in the dropdown for brand new dashboard. What seems buggy is that some of the reports have updated names, but others do not.

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

@kentb —

If you rename a report from within the dashboard, it will not change the name of the report that is saved.

That said, if you change the name of a report from within the report, you will change the name of the report if the dashboard was not already modified. A warning message pops up to let you know this will occur. 

It sounds like there is some inconsistency with naming. Are you changing the names from within the dashboard or from within the report?

And when you mention the “dropdown” from a brand new dashboard, can you describe where this is?

@cherise That all makes sense. Regarding your questions -  I renamed the reports from within the report, not the dashboard.

Then I go to the brand new dashboard and click “+ add report” and a dropdown of all the available reports appears, but many of them still show the old names of the reports. If I go to the section of mixpanel and check, the report names are updated there, but back at “add report” area of the dash, they are still incorrect.

See in pic 1 - none of the reports start with “2010”

And if I look at the same reports in “+Add report” in the dashboard, all the names have the old “2010 xxxx” format

Mixpanel