Solved

Can I change the properties once an event is tracked

• 12 March 2020
  • 1 reply

Testgorilla is a software that allows the creation of assessments that are composed of several tests. Each test has a duration and the duration of the assessment is the sum of the duration of all the tests.

In our mixpanel implementation we have an event called "Assessment creation" from which we need to collect the following properties: Number of tests and duration.

The problem is that our app is a SPA, and there is no "Save" button where we can implement the action. Every time a user adds a test to the assessment it is automatically saved and therefore updates the number of tests and their duration.

Is there any way to achieve this with Mixpanel? I understand that the events are immutable, so we cannot change the properties once the event is tracked. Is that correct?

icon

Best answer by stephanie 18 March 2020, 00:05

Hi @ejvdholst,

You are correct, event data immutable once it sent in. However, there are ways to change the view of events and their properties in the UI. Taking a slight step back, what I am understanding is that you want to change an event property value? If so, you can use Custom Properties will help fix implementation issues.

You can use custom properties to combine multiple property values into one. This is helpful when customers want to take multiple variations of a property value (e.g. facebook, fb, fbsocial) and then combine them into one property value (e.g. facebook). Take a look at our Custom Properties help article to see more details on how to use them,  how to merge property values, and other use cases. 

Let me know if this helps with  what you are trying to achieve!

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Hi @ejvdholst,

You are correct, event data immutable once it sent in. However, there are ways to change the view of events and their properties in the UI. Taking a slight step back, what I am understanding is that you want to change an event property value? If so, you can use Custom Properties will help fix implementation issues.

You can use custom properties to combine multiple property values into one. This is helpful when customers want to take multiple variations of a property value (e.g. facebook, fb, fbsocial) and then combine them into one property value (e.g. facebook). Take a look at our Custom Properties help article to see more details on how to use them,  how to merge property values, and other use cases. 

Let me know if this helps with  what you are trying to achieve!