Question

Tracking user action based on site visit URLs

• 18 November 2020
  • 2 replies

Hi,

I am looking to segment all users by a single action they completed (event trigger) coupled with specific landing pages they visited (URLs) in order to ascertain which URL influenced their discussion to perform the action. 

It is possible that a user might visit many of the target URL but I want to know what the last URL was before the action was performed. 

Ideally, I would like this be visualised in percentage terms e.g. Page URL 1. = 32%, Page URL 2 = 12% and so on. 

Please can anyone offer some advice on how best to achieve this within Mixpanel. 

Many thanks in advance for your help. 

2 replies

Hi Jaya,

Thanks so much for your response, I guess I could send the event property as the last visited target URL. That’s a great idea. 

Would option to involve a user level property? 

I’ve currently found an interim solution using funnels to isolate key actions which has provided some insight. 

All the best,

Stan

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I can think of two ways to do this.

1. Is it possible for you to send the last visited target URL as a property of the event associated with the action? If so, you can then breakdown the event by that property to have your analysis.
  2. If not, you could set a profile property “Last visited target URL” and update it every time a target URL is visited. Then you can break down the action related event on this profile property. But this may break down if a user visits another target URL after performing the action. If the action is supposed to be performed only once, then you can stop updating this property for users who have already performed the action.

Regards
Jaya