Solved

How to export message/campaign-related data?

• 11 February 2020
  • 5 replies

Badge

Hello,

We’re investigating how we can retrieve campaign/message labels from API exports.

For example, when exporting raw events, we get references to messages in the `properties.message_id` or `properties.campaign_id`. When in the Mixpanel Dashboard, we can see those campaigns/messages by navigating to the Messages & Experiments > Message/Campaign subtab. Selecting a specific message or campaign will show the label of said object.

My question is; how can we export this label together with the ID separately? Is this possible? I.e. a separate endpoint or a manual export?

We need the labels as human-readable reference points (which is why the IDs themselves are unfortunately not enough).

Thanks a lot in advance.

icon

Best answer by stephanie 4 March 2020, 23:25

For anyone else who comes and is wondering about this, I wanted to share @enague response!

Jumping right into your question, I'm guessing that you are using our API to export raw data as mentioned in our docs here. Please correct me if you are using another method to export the data.

If you go to your Lexicon page, you can see the event properties of messages. To do this, go to the Event Properties tab and search for "message." Here you can see a list of the event properties you have access to in the API data export. More information on Message Sent and Message Opened event properties can be found here.

From the list of the message event properties, you can see one of them is called "message_name." This is the event property you can use as the human-readable reference point for your message. 

As a side note, the message_name property is the name of the message at the time of sending. Since you can change the names of messages, there may be differences in the message_name and the message properties. 

My question is; how can we export this label together with the ID separately? Is this possible? I.e. a separate endpoint or a manual export?

Regarding the above question, you are able to have this message name as a separate key-value pair from the ID when you export the data.

View original

5 replies

Badge

Bump?

Hi @lennartk,

Thank you for your patience on this. I’ve received your ticket this morning, so I should have an updated answer for you soon.

Best,

Eric

Support Engineer 

Hi @enage, this is a great question. We are looking for this as well.

Thank you very much for the updates!

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

For anyone else who comes and is wondering about this, I wanted to share @enague response!

Jumping right into your question, I'm guessing that you are using our API to export raw data as mentioned in our docs here. Please correct me if you are using another method to export the data.

If you go to your Lexicon page, you can see the event properties of messages. To do this, go to the Event Properties tab and search for "message." Here you can see a list of the event properties you have access to in the API data export. More information on Message Sent and Message Opened event properties can be found here.

From the list of the message event properties, you can see one of them is called "message_name." This is the event property you can use as the human-readable reference point for your message. 

As a side note, the message_name property is the name of the message at the time of sending. Since you can change the names of messages, there may be differences in the message_name and the message properties. 

Regarding the above question, you are able to have this message name as a separate key-value pair from the ID when you export the data.

Badge

Hello @stephanie and @enague ,

Many thanks for your help here :) We now have the information we need in our exports!