Solved

Targeting push notifications for iOS or Android only

• 18 November 2019
  • 4 replies

Badge

I'm setting up a push notification that I want to limit to iOS customers only. What is the proven guaranteed way to implement this targeting?

Somewhere in Mixpanel's help articles I saw that default filters for a message can be altered. But for push notification they can't, and the article behind the "info" icon doesn't explain why and doesn't provide an alternative:

When trying to use people property "Android Devices" for the custom filters, it turns out to be a List and suggests only "Contains" or "Doesn't contain" operators. So I can't do "Not Set" or "is False".

My guess is to use: "Operating System" DOES NOT CONTAIN "Android". How reliable is it? What's the best practice in targeting by mobile platform?

icon

Best answer by shawnbarrett 21 November 2019, 23:56

@cubez When you are setting your target criteria, you can target users with the ios devices user property and have it to is set. to get the option of is set you have to change the value type from list to string. You can do this by clicking on the little arrow next to the name and it will show you a drop down of options. I attached a screenshot to help see.

once you have ios devices is set as your user target criteria, this will only qualify the user with this and android users should not receive it.

Hope this help!

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

@cubez When you are setting your target criteria, you can target users with the ios devices user property and have it to is set. to get the option of is set you have to change the value type from list to string. You can do this by clicking on the little arrow next to the name and it will show you a drop down of options. I attached a screenshot to help see.

once you have ios devices is set as your user target criteria, this will only qualify the user with this and android users should not receive it.

Hope this help!

Badge

@shawn.barrett, thanks for the trick! So that's when the typecasting for properties is needed! :)

Is this method working reliably or there might be some edge cases?

Userlevel 3
Badge

works for me 🙂 you can also use them on reports https://help.mixpanel.com/hc/en-us/articles/115004547063#typecasting

Badge

Many thanks, Shawn, putting into action right away!