Solved

Push notification is not working on some devices

• 13 January 2020
  • 4 replies

Badge

We are using push notification feature of mixpanel.  If we remove the app from taskbar and send push notification within a few minutes/few hours, we are getting notification, but not after a long interval.

It is happening on some mobile devices like OPPO, MI, One Plus, even on some Samsung devices. You know those devices are very very popular in INDIA. So we are actually facing a big problem. 

icon

Best answer by madhu 25 January 2020, 00:45

Hi! Unfortunately it looks like certain combinations of device manufacturers aggressively prevent applications from starting up and/or kill connections to FCM.

At the moment you can’t set priority for android notifications but with the soon to launch “Rich push builder”, you will be able to set priority to your notifications. If you would like to be part of our beta program, please reach out to our support team and they should be able to help you with getting access to our newest builder. 

View original

4 replies

Badge

Any reply from MIXPANEL team. We are not getting single reply from MIXPANEL team. Don’t know what will be right channel!!!

Hi @arunavas! Sorry for the delayed response. Can you elaborate more on what you mean by removing the app from the taskbar? Are you uninstalling the app or just killing the application? 

One thing to check would be to use mixpanel insights report and see if this is something that only affects certain kind of devices/manufacturers.

Mixpanel relies on Google’s FCM to deliver push notifications to android devices, and according to this https://github.com/firebase/quickstart-android/issues/307 some devices have issues connecting to FCM. 

Badge

I am not uninstalling the app. I have just removed the app from taskbar. After some time, I have sent messages to devices. On mixpanel If I click on user details, it is showing “message has been sent”. But user didn’t get the message.

Note : If app is in foreground or background, there is no problem. It is happening on some devices that when app is no longer use or removed from taskbar, notification will not be shown. But strangely it is happenign on samsung (Version 8) along with OPPO, One Plus. 

How can I send high priority message through mixpanel, so I can test it, whether it is happening for high priority notification also or not 

Hi! Unfortunately it looks like certain combinations of device manufacturers aggressively prevent applications from starting up and/or kill connections to FCM.

At the moment you can’t set priority for android notifications but with the soon to launch “Rich push builder”, you will be able to set priority to your notifications. If you would like to be part of our beta program, please reach out to our support team and they should be able to help you with getting access to our newest builder.