Solved

journeys and messages

• 19 February 2020
  • 2 replies

I think that journeys are really good feature! I’m just afraid to activate them.

Can you help?

1. I created messages and I want to use them in journeys for my users - if I’ll activate journeys will all users get the same message again? or journeys will begin with new users only? I don’t want my users to get the messages again.
  2. I don’t see a lot of criteria to create the journeys? literally few, did I do something wrong? why I can’t see all criteria like in messages?
icon

Best answer by michelle 22 February 2020, 01:11

Hi there, 

Michelle here from Mixpanel Support, happy to help with your questions! 

1. I created messages and I want to use them in journeys for my users - if I’ll activate journeys will all users get the same message again? or journeys will begin with new users only? I don’t want my users to get the messages again.

Journeys will essentially make a copy of the message and the message will work independently under the Journeys feature. This means that if you have any active messages under Messages and then add the same message to Journeys there is a possibility that some users could receive the message twice if they meet the criteria again under the Journey.

With that being said, you can always add a Cohort prior to the Message block that can filter out users who have already received the original message. Adding the Cohort will allow you to control the audience before receiving the next message.

You would want to proceed with the following:

1. Create a Cohort that targets users based on prior messaging. For example, I created a Cohort of users who did not receive “Message Sent” filtered by the message name and the time/date that the message was created. 

2.  Add the Cohort after the entry criteria block to filter those users from receiving the first message, shown below:

I don’t see a lot of criteria to create the journeys? literally few, did I do something wrong? why I can’t see all criteria like in messages?

When you add a message to the Journey, it will make a copy of the message to the Journey but it will not include “Target Criteria” or “Delivery Settings” into the Journey. The target criteria can essentially be controlled by a Cohort and the delivery settings would be replaced by the “Time delay” option when you add the message block. 

You can learn more about building a Journey here

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge

Hi there, 

Michelle here from Mixpanel Support, happy to help with your questions! 

Journeys will essentially make a copy of the message and the message will work independently under the Journeys feature. This means that if you have any active messages under Messages and then add the same message to Journeys there is a possibility that some users could receive the message twice if they meet the criteria again under the Journey.

With that being said, you can always add a Cohort prior to the Message block that can filter out users who have already received the original message. Adding the Cohort will allow you to control the audience before receiving the next message.

You would want to proceed with the following:

1. Create a Cohort that targets users based on prior messaging. For example, I created a Cohort of users who did not receive “Message Sent” filtered by the message name and the time/date that the message was created. 

2.  Add the Cohort after the entry criteria block to filter those users from receiving the first message, shown below:

I don’t see a lot of criteria to create the journeys? literally few, did I do something wrong? why I can’t see all criteria like in messages?

When you add a message to the Journey, it will make a copy of the message to the Journey but it will not include “Target Criteria” or “Delivery Settings” into the Journey. The target criteria can essentially be controlled by a Cohort and the delivery settings would be replaced by the “Time delay” option when you add the message block. 

You can learn more about building a Journey here

Hi, is there a way to test the journey?