Solved

Examples of In-App Messages

Userlevel 1
Badge
  • Frequent Participant
  • 17 replies

Can a few people please post screenshots of what your in-app messages look like, in your app?

I can see how they are built in Mixpanel, but I cannot find examples of what they look like in a real product.

I need examples of the small, and large take-over messages if possible.

If someone on the @mixpanel team has screen shots, or access to a demo site that uses messages that I could see, that would be great too.

Thank you,

Jono

icon

Best answer by seanmccoy 6 March 2020, 00:47

@chsweb Are you currently using MP,  do you have messages enabled to send out in-app messages? If so, you can send yourself a in-app test to view your in-app message. 

View original

14 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Tagging a few QBQ members who recently posted questions about in-apps, maybe you can share a few in-app examples? I’ll reach out internally to see if we have any demo projects with examples as well! 

@slvit @ragopor @marc @julio-cast @allen121  @suseela @seanmccoy  

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

@chsweb Are you currently using MP,  do you have messages enabled to send out in-app messages? If so, you can send yourself a in-app test to view your in-app message. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

@seanmccoy I am evaluation Mixpanel on the free plan, but I have access to a full-featured demo of Mixpanel.  I do not have access to the site associated with the Mixpanel demo, so I cannot make a sample message and trigger it anywhere. 

I need to mockup how we could use in-app messages in our product, but I do not know what the messages really look like in a real app. Specifically a Desktop web app. 

Where do the in-app messages appear? Can I determine where they appear? What do they look like when they appear - both small and take over messages. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thank you @cherise - there is a gap in Mixpanel’s documentation. Of all the great resources and information, there is no example screenshot or video of actual in-app messaging in a real app. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

@chsweb Are you comparing MP messages to any other platform, if so, what platforms? I haven’t tried any in-app messages on web so I cannot provide any screen shots or experience around that use case. What features are you mainly trying to get out for in-app messages? 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

@chsweb I am not sure where you can determine where they should appear on web, but I have included some screen shots on what I see in the platform. You can also trigger the message based on events.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thank you @seanmccoy! I am assuming the real messages look like the WYSIWYG messages that I can build in the sandbox, but I don’t know if that is true, or if Mixpanel darkens the background on the take over message.

We have a few user case for using in-app messages, such as:

1. When someone invokes an event that has been show to trigger a contact support event frequently, use Mixpanel to insert a useful message. The goal here is to reduce support cases with in-app messages.
  2. When someone is using a part of a funnel that has a high failure rate, use in-app Messages to help them get past the part the is causing us to lose conversions (until the product team can address the issue).
  3. When someone logs in, for the first time, send a helpful message to guide them.
  4. When someone logs in, but does not complete “Event X,” send them a message they next time they log in to remind them to do ‘Event X.’

I am building a business case, and would like to mock up a few of those scenarios, by putting example Mixpanel in-app messages over top of a screen shot of our product pages.

In-app messages, and email, is a killer feature, but nobody seems to be using it; and none of the Mixpanel documentation shows real examples. Strange. 

Thank you for the screen shots above, I think I will do my best to fake it, and not try to place the message in a specific place in my mockups.

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

@chsweb wanted to share the web in-app set up on music funder project. User will get this in-app message if their city is set to San Francisco. 

What my website looks like before
What my web in-app looks like when it shows. The background does tend to dim down when an in-app message is shown. 
composed message via Mixpanel
Target Criteria via Mixpanel

I will also share this feedback with our team to consider adding more image documentation for in-apps. Hope this helps!

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thank you @stephanie. Do you know if in-app message can be placed in a specific location of the app?

For example, if a user logs in for the first time in 30 days, can I place an in-app message next to a new feature?

I am trying to figure out how in-app guides can work and how we can highlight certain app features with in-app messages.

Is there any documentation that covers in-app message positioning, for web apps?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Also, @stephanie is the  music funder project a publicly accessible site?

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

@chsweb MP is also rolling out a really cool feature that I am excited to test out, https://help.mixpanel.com/hc/en-us/articles/360039261291-Journeys-Basics

I am starting to play more with MP messages lately because its easier to track and slice up data to measure the impact compared to other services that I currently use. I am constantly submitting feature request to MP to improve their functionality because it is still limited compared to other solutions on the market. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

@chsweb The music finder is not publicly accessible as this is my personal dummy project. However, I have passed down the feedback for a need to have a publicly accessible project/website.  To keep track of this feedback, I have created an Idea on your behalf here

Additionally, there is not a built-in way to change the position of a web in-app Message. If you want to change the position of an in-app you would need to do so using CSS. As you mentioned this is not specifically mentioned in our documentation, but this help article gives an example of using CSS to customize your web in-app Message. Please check in with your developer about your options for using CSS to specify the position of a web in-app Message.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Additionally, there is not a built-in way to change the position of a web in-app Message. If you want to change the position of an in-app you would need to do so using CSS. As you mentioned this is not specifically mentioned in our documentation, but this help article gives an example of using CSS to customize your web in-app Message. Please check in with your developer about your options for using CSS to specify the position of a web in-app Message.

Thank you, without looking, I am assuming we can absolute position the in-app message, when needed (I am a developer too). The liquid tempting looks good.

With my design and sales hat on:
I wish there was a way to test the feature more to get a feel for what we would be really paying for on a paid plan, or to build a business case.

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

@chsweb completely agree. I have relayed this message down to our team :)