Solved

Deep-linking from email so it opens the corresponding app

• 16 March 2020
  • 1 reply

Badge

Hey all,

Is it possible to include deep-links in Mixpanel emails somehow? I know when I hyperlink either Facebook, Instagram or Branch.io in my MailChimp emails, it opens those apps when you tap the corresponding link. At the moment, it seems that if I tap the link in a Mixpanel email, it opens the browser version of those URLs only.

Is there a way to deep-link so it opens the relevant app?

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by stephanie 16 March 2020, 18:19

Hi @loop-app

It sounds like you want to deep-link in an email in case they open their email via mobile and can direct them to your ios/android app?

If so, we recommend that you configure a custom URL that directs your users to somewhere in your app and include it in your Mixpanel email.

Then, include a link to your site that links to this custom URL (instead of a link that sends a user directly to your app), as most email providers will strip these Custom URLs preventing your users from clicking on a valid link that brings them to your app.

With deep-linking via email messages, if the user tries to open it via a device that does not have the app installed, the link would fail.

Therefore, it may be helpful then to set up some logic on the receiving URL to detect the device type, and direct users to a different page in case they are not on a mobile device when they click on the link.

Hope this helps get you started!

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Hi @loop-app

It sounds like you want to deep-link in an email in case they open their email via mobile and can direct them to your ios/android app?

If so, we recommend that you configure a custom URL that directs your users to somewhere in your app and include it in your Mixpanel email.

Then, include a link to your site that links to this custom URL (instead of a link that sends a user directly to your app), as most email providers will strip these Custom URLs preventing your users from clicking on a valid link that brings them to your app.

With deep-linking via email messages, if the user tries to open it via a device that does not have the app installed, the link would fail.

Therefore, it may be helpful then to set up some logic on the receiving URL to detect the device type, and direct users to a different page in case they are not on a mobile device when they click on the link.

Hope this helps get you started!