Solved

Can I use webhooks to have my campaigns sent by an external email service provider?

• 12 December 2018
  • 2 replies

Badge

Frankly, the email functionality is Mixpanel's weak point. Composing rich HTML emails is really painful and any tracking links need carefully to be individually hand-crafted and tested. Add to that the relatively poor analytics/metrics and, well, it's not wonderful.

We'd like to be able to build triggers in Mixpanel, but have the emails actually sent via a 3rd party, such as Campaign Monitor or Mailchimp.

This answer seems to have half of the problem: getting data from Mailchimp into Mixpanel.

For the other half (triggering emails to be sent) I think we'd be looking at using Webhooks, but can't find any detailed info on this.

Has anyone done this? Am I on the right track? What's my next step?

icon

Best answer by jmalysz 14 December 2018, 23:36

Absolutely. Webhook campaigns (https://developer.mixpanel.com/docs/webhooks) will post the user profile's JSON Payload to a URL you specify. At minimum you'll need email as a people property on profiles.

If the ESP doesn't have a configurable ingestion endpoint to allow you to parse the message, you'll need to either (a) post to a proxy URL that then processes the payload and posts to the ESP or (b)[easier] use Zapier's Webhook input and ESP output (this offers a lot of flexibility)

View original

2 replies

Badge

Absolutely. Webhook campaigns (https://developer.mixpanel.com/docs/webhooks) will post the user profile's JSON Payload to a URL you specify. At minimum you'll need email as a people property on profiles.

If the ESP doesn't have a configurable ingestion endpoint to allow you to parse the message, you'll need to either (a) post to a proxy URL that then processes the payload and posts to the ESP or (b)[easier] use Zapier's Webhook input and ESP output (this offers a lot of flexibility)

Badge

Hi @jmalysz and thanks for your answer regarding mixpanel webhooks --> ESP.

I tested this solution, and can't seem to find how you made it work. The webhook pushed by mixpanel is an array, and zapier doesn't support array (or javascript map when using code by zapier). I could parse it to only take the first element, but that's not the use case I'm trying to reach.

Any idea how to proceed ?

Thanks !