In this edition of Ask a PM, we brought you an exclusive AMA-style webinar with Vlado Hruda, Mixpanel’s very own Senior Product Manager (formerly of Google), moderated by Product Designer, Katie Siu.
Vlado and Katie answered your burning questions on everything from finding your focus metric to leveraging product analytics to answer UX-related questions to driving retention...but they received way more questions than we could possibly answer, so we’re continuing the conversation here on QBQ.
We’ll be posting answers to some of the questions we didn’t have a chance to respond to, as well as responding to new questions posed in this thread.
And in case you missed the live session or need a quick refresher, you can find answers to all of these questions in the recording:
- How do you prioritize what feedback is important? Do you have any frameworks you might be able to recommend?
- How do you then figure out what your team should tackle first?
- Do you find prioritizing backlogs like these differs between larger companies, like Google, vs. startups?
- How do you use analytics before a product release/launch to get design feedback? What happens when you have a smaller user base to pool feedback from?
- How do you balance quantitative analytics vs. qualitative gut feelings? Have you ever found yourself going against what the data indicated?
- Do you have any advice around identifying and analyzing core metrics to help teams drive new user acquisition and retention?
- What's the best way to determine activation criteria?
- When you get a result that you know will be controversial with stakeholders, what are your next steps? (e.g., an exec has a pet feature that doesn’t perform well)
- What are three things you have learned over the years that you would have liked to know on your first day as a product manager?
- What was the most valuable thing you took from your time at Google?