Page dwell time

• 9 January 2021

I’d like to be able to report on how long users spend on specific pages. Much like the ‘session’ times where you could set a timeout, perhaps the entry time to a page could be tracked and then the exit time? A default timeout value could be used to end a ‘page session’ after n minutes of inactivity?

Thank you! and yes please! 

An out of the box feature for this should be a must have for any analytics tool.

Yes, this would be extremely useful for me too.

+1 would love this

@Crawfish you can track the page time using Mixpanel duration tracking. Basically, you start the timer on pageview and end on page change. 

here is article, I wrote, to get you an idea on how to implement it

https://muffaddal-qutbuddin.medium.com/time-spent-on-thinkfic-courses-by-students-b9e0d763be4

article is on time spend on thinkfic courses but same principle can be applied to track any page time.

Thanks @Muffaddal Qutbuddin it’s good to know this can be achieved. Am I right in thinking though that if we then add a new page we have to then also configure the duration tracking because the page name will be new or is this a case of adding one snippet of code and then it will pick up any new pages?

My request for additional mixpanel functionality I guess is that there is just a ‘native’ page dwell time available in Mixpanel that does not need custom javascript code embedded in the site.

@Crawfish implementation should be scalable. So one code for all the newly added pages as well. 

Updated idea status SUBMITTEDIN REVIEW
Mixpanel