Solved

Understanding MTU

• 29 July 2020
  • 7 replies

If a user does Event A, B and C does it count as 3 MTUs or 1 MTU?

icon

Best answer by mattsmith 29 July 2020, 12:55

Hey @Finbingo 

This example would be a single MTU.

An MTU is defined as a single distinct_id triggering at least 1 event to your project, up to 1000 events per month. The only way it would be multiple MTUs would either be if there were events across multiple distinct_ids, or if the user triggered 1000+ events in the month. 

Thanks a lot,

Matt

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Hey @Finbingo 

This example would be a single MTU.

An MTU is defined as a single distinct_id triggering at least 1 event to your project, up to 1000 events per month. The only way it would be multiple MTUs would either be if there were events across multiple distinct_ids, or if the user triggered 1000+ events in the month. 

Thanks a lot,

Matt

A follow up question:

When a user installs our app, we call alias and then identify when the user Signs Up. But there are cases when user doesn’t Sign Up but just opens and closes the app. 

My question:

1. In the second case, does Mixpanel generate anonymous _id every time user opens the app?
  2. If yes, then anonymous_id being distinct_id, isn’t Mixpanel counting it as multiple MTUs?
  3. How can I stop this behaviour? We have purchased 5000 MTU packages and every month the MTU goes beyond 5000 even though the number of signs up are in 100s. I am assuming the anonymous_id is the issue here.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Hi @Finbingo 

To answer your questions in order;

1. We wouldn’t generate an anonymous_id, instead we we give this unknown user their own distinct_id, in the same way we would any other user, until the time we know who they are and when we can begin using their existing distinct_id (when you call alias)
  2. I believe this is correct, as you would have users opening and closing the app without logging in. HOWEVER, if they go back and open the app again, and then log in, their previous “unknown” session is then linked to this new session, and to the correct distinct_id, and only counted once.
  3. If this is happening where it shouldn’t, and users who are later being aliased are still being counted as a different distinct_id, then there may be an issue with how you are calling alias. My advice here would be to either ask the same question to our support team. You can find them by clicking on the ( ? ) button in the top right of your project and selected “Contact Support”

I hope this all helps.

Matt

Badge

Hi @mattsmith,

Please can I ask you something

you said that “ if the user triggered 1000+ events in the month” “ it would be -counted as- multiple MTUs”

can you clarify more please?

For example in our case, we have users that have thousands of events per user per month,

how this will be counted regarding MTUs?

Thanks

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Hi @mohheader 

What I mean by this is that each MTU is capped at 1000 events, but we obviously don’t want to limit the data you are collecting, so if you go beyond 1000 we still collect the data against the same user profile but we add on another MTU to your count. Then if you go beyond 2000 events for this user it counts as a 3rd MTU for the period, and so on.

If you have a user with say 10,000 events in the period, they will count as 10 MTUs.

Thanks a lot,

Matt

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Just a quick clarification on when users go over 1000 MTUs - what matters is the average of all users rather than any individual going over 1000 events. Lets say you only have 2 users, one has 1500 events and the other has 499 events, then they have less than 1000 events/MTU on average, hence they would still only count as 2 MTUs.

However, if you had both users tracking more than 1000 events, then your MTU count would be total events/1000. So lets say user 1 tracked 2000 events and user 2 tracked 3000 events, then your MTU count would be (2000+3000)/1000 = 5 MTUs. 

https://help.mixpanel.com/hc/en-us/articles/360001465686-Billing-for-Monthly-Tracked-Users has more detail available

Badge

Thanks @mattsmith & @pranav it makes a lot of sense now,

but don’t you think that 1K event per user is a low standard/count for MTU ?

I am sure you carefully selected that number, but in case it can be increased in the future, that will be great.

so now I will be thinking of ways to decrease the count of events we send per user. as currently our average number of events for paid-subscriptions users are around 1,750 event

Thanks again