Solved

Tracking user activity by logins

• 13 February 2020
  • 1 reply

We want to track user activity of our website by weekly logins, but we have a couple issues. For starters, sometimes users leave our website open for a few days, so it only accounts for one login over those few days. Is there a way to define a login after a certain period of inactivity? Secondly, refreshing a page on our website automatically logs them in and triggers the login event. Is there a way to count logins over the past 7 days with a maximum of one login per day? 

I also noticed an event “session start” that’s automatically built into Mixpanel. How can i find out what the criteria is for that event to be triggered?

Thanks

icon

Best answer by stephanie 25 February 2020, 00:31

Hi @reemelkateb,

To find out how to set your Session Start to an event, check out our help article here on how to do Event Based sessionshttps://help.mixpanel.com/hc/en-us/articles/115004695223#event-based-sessions

Also, I believe Timeout Based Sessions can also help to define a timeout after a certain period of inactivity. The set session length is the length of time that defines a session timeout after a period of inactivity in Mixpanel. You can set the session timeout period in minutes, hours, or days. The default length is 30 minutes.

Lastly, on your question on only counting one login event in the past 7 days (due to refreshing a page) this can be done by doing unique counts instead of total counts. Unique counts will give you count of unique users performing [X event]. To learn more about data functions, you can take a look at our help article here

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Hi @reemelkateb,

To find out how to set your Session Start to an event, check out our help article here on how to do Event Based sessionshttps://help.mixpanel.com/hc/en-us/articles/115004695223#event-based-sessions

Also, I believe Timeout Based Sessions can also help to define a timeout after a certain period of inactivity. The set session length is the length of time that defines a session timeout after a period of inactivity in Mixpanel. You can set the session timeout period in minutes, hours, or days. The default length is 30 minutes.

Lastly, on your question on only counting one login event in the past 7 days (due to refreshing a page) this can be done by doing unique counts instead of total counts. Unique counts will give you count of unique users performing [X event]. To learn more about data functions, you can take a look at our help article here