Solved

Problem with anonymous, user, login and register

• 16 January 2019
  • 1 reply

Badge

Me and my team have a problem implementing a code for tracking anonymous user's activity in our app.

When an anonymous user enter in app we attribute a Distinct ID to him and after he register we use the alias method to connect the ID to his email

The problem is when the user is connected and do the logout, we tried with two different ways but with no success:

The first one was reseting the session id when he logs out, but after he logs in again instead of connect to the same id or email, mixpanel creates another user in mixpanel with the same property and email, but with different ID. This is happening always, making a lot of different but equal users.

We though this happened because of the reseting method so we tried without it but the result was even worst. When the user logs out the id persist and if another user logs in the last will be registered as the first, being impossible to separate them without using some property (like email).

For login we are using the identify method with 'people' setted to true.

Therefore, we want to know how can we track the anonymous and logged user without lost his future tracking when he logs out. Also, will be great if we tracked the same user in all plataforms we have, we read and tried but we still not knowing how to do it properly.

icon

Best answer by monicaerdmann 16 January 2019, 19:27

hey @renatafaria- you want to use the alias on sign up, but identify on login. if you identify on his email- what you aliased to the id- it will change the id the data records to, back to the one that the user had. you using identify?

if it is a problem of having split ids for the user's return activity after they logout but before they login and you identify, i just had this same question and got my answer from the one @jhooey asked here

looks like connecting a user's subsequent sessions before you are able to use identify is something they are working on it, and i reached to the email in @cherise's answer to get in the beta fix when it happens

though, i would def keep the reseting method if you expect different users to use the same device- having two split ids for the same user isn't good, but i agree with you that mixing two different users data together is way worse

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 3
Badge

hey @renatafaria- you want to use the alias on sign up, but identify on login. if you identify on his email- what you aliased to the id- it will change the id the data records to, back to the one that the user had. you using identify?

if it is a problem of having split ids for the user's return activity after they logout but before they login and you identify, i just had this same question and got my answer from the one @jhooey asked here

looks like connecting a user's subsequent sessions before you are able to use identify is something they are working on it, and i reached to the email in @cherise's answer to get in the beta fix when it happens

though, i would def keep the reseting method if you expect different users to use the same device- having two split ids for the same user isn't good, but i agree with you that mixing two different users data together is way worse