Solved

Merging user ID for same user on Web and Mobile app

• 12 April 2021
  • 3 replies

We use segment to track events on our web app and mobile app and we integrate with mixpanel to send those events. On segment we have two different sources (web and mobile) while we set up a single project on mixpanel where event data from both sources are sent to. 

The problem is that the user ID for the user on web is different from that of the same user on mobile app and since mixpanel uses the ID to map events across platforms, we can't seem to build event insights for each users across the web and mobile app.

How can we set up segment or perhaps mixpanel to merge the User IDs such that the same user on web is recognised on our mobile app by mixpanel and the events are tied up?

Users would typically sign up to activate their account on our web app and then perform other events including adding subuser(s) - subusers only have access to the mobile app. We send a link to the user and subuser(s) via sms to download the mobile app afterwhich they login on the mobile app with their phone number and new passcode to perform other events. The user often goes back and forth between both platforms to perform events while the subuser only uses the mobile app.

icon

Best answer by Muffaddal Qutbuddin 14 April 2021, 07:51

@Muffaddal Qutbuddin thank you for your feedback. I forgot to add that the download link sent to users via sms doesn't get us majority of the user mobile app downloads.

Most users simply ignore the sms and download directly from playstore or more commonly - send the app to their smartphones from other users or from our offline marketing agents who already have the app by using sharing tools like xender.

So you need to figure out a way to pass the user id across platforms. If url can’t work then another I can think of if server knows the detail about the user. If this is case you can basically send user id from server to mobile and do the trick that way. 

maybe reach out to the dev to see how id can be passed within your application settings. 

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Hello @Johnsonish , For Mixpanel to merge user profiles from both web and app we will have to use a common id across both platform.

one approach we can take, to pass the id across platforms, is send the user id as utm parameter in the download link and fetch and identify user within the app using the fetched id. Referral API for android and dynamic links can help you achieve this.

Note but this might won’t work in all the cases as there are chances for parameters to get removed such as in iPhone..

@Muffaddal Qutbuddin thank you for your feedback. I forgot to add that the download link sent to users via sms doesn't get us majority of the user mobile app downloads.

Most users simply ignore the sms and download directly from playstore or more commonly - send the app to their smartphones from other users or from our offline marketing agents who already have the app by using sharing tools like xender.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

So you need to figure out a way to pass the user id across platforms. If url can’t work then another I can think of if server knows the detail about the user. If this is case you can basically send user id from server to mobile and do the trick that way. 

maybe reach out to the dev to see how id can be passed within your application settings. 

Mixpanel