Solved

Is there a way to rename event properties and change the historical data?

• 23 October 2020
  • 3 replies

I have two events sharing the same properties. Unfortunately I’ve given different names to the same properties under different events. This makes impossible to use formulas in the insights reports and giving those properties display names on the Lexicon doesn’t help. I’d like to rename properties from scratch and want to update the historical data. Is it possible?

icon

Best answer by cherise 28 October 2020, 01:30

It sounds like you want to keep Event A (add to cart)  and Event B (purchase) separate, but change the property name so that they are the same for both events— this would let you create an Insights report where both events are broken down by the same property.

In this case, you can use our Merge Property Feature in Lexicon. Here is a screenshot of Lexicon—keep in mind that you will need to click on two properties in order for the “Merge” option to show up.

Here is a link to the documentation, and scroll down to specifically read about Merging Properties: https://help.mixpanel.com/hc/en-us/articles/360001307806-Lexicon-Overview#merging-events-and-properties

Let me know if this does the trick!

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

@hakansogukpinar —

I’d try two things:

Option 1)

If you use Lexicon to rename the current event to match the historical event, I would expect it to pull in both data sets, but if the characters are not an exact match it will not, so if you are having trouble, move on to Option 2. 

Option 2)

Step 1 - Create a Custom Event with both the current and the historical events

Step 2 - Hide the current event and the historical event via lexicon (just to keep your dropdowns clean)

Step 3 - Build your report! This will definitely bring in both data sets for your reports and connect the current to the historical data.

Hi Cherise,

Thank you for your help but unfortunately they don’t work in my case. I’d like to rephrase my issue.

I have two different events with the following properties. 

Event A

Property A

Event B

Property B

The property names are different but they show the same value. You can think Event A as add to cart and Event B as purchase, Properties are the products. They are the same but their names are different for the different events. So I change their display names to Property C, to make them unify. After that I open the Insights report and add two events. Then I’d like to add only Property C to see both but they have their own Property C’s. It only changes the display name, it doesn’t unify the data.

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

It sounds like you want to keep Event A (add to cart)  and Event B (purchase) separate, but change the property name so that they are the same for both events— this would let you create an Insights report where both events are broken down by the same property.

In this case, you can use our Merge Property Feature in Lexicon. Here is a screenshot of Lexicon—keep in mind that you will need to click on two properties in order for the “Merge” option to show up.

Here is a link to the documentation, and scroll down to specifically read about Merging Properties: https://help.mixpanel.com/hc/en-us/articles/360001307806-Lexicon-Overview#merging-events-and-properties

Let me know if this does the trick!

Mixpanel