Solved

Is it possible to associate a single event with multiple distinct_id's?

• 10 January 2019
  • 2 replies

Badge +3
Can more than one distinct_id be associated with a single event? For example, User A sends User B a message. We'd like to have an event 'SentMessage' associated with two distinct_id's: 1234 and 5678.
icon

Best answer by yogeshmangaj 13 February 2019, 18:34

`distinct_id` is intended to uniquely identify events originating from a single user.
The way I would have designed the above interaction so as to associate an event with 2 distinct_ids, I would create a message_id (if it doesn't exist already) and create a SentMessage event on User A and a ReceivedMessage event on User B and ensure message_id exists on both the events.
Does that help?

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Nope, you should have 'SendMessage' and maybe 'getMessage', both will have the people property distinct_id by default (if identification was properly set) . What do you want to track exactly? Or what question do you want to answer through Mixpanel?

Badge

`distinct_id` is intended to uniquely identify events originating from a single user.
The way I would have designed the above interaction so as to associate an event with 2 distinct_ids, I would create a message_id (if it doesn't exist already) and create a SentMessage event on User A and a ReceivedMessage event on User B and ensure message_id exists on both the events.
Does that help?

Mixpanel