Question

Implementing Group Analytics on Unity SDK

• 23 November 2020
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Hi there!

Does somebody have any previous experience implementing group analytics on Unity?

Thanks!

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

@ivanmuniz — 

Just to make sure, do you have group analytics added to the project?

I have not done this myself, but would be happy to try and get you some support to get going — do you have any specific questions I can help address?

Also, maybe share a link to your question in the Partners Group? https://community.mixpanel.com/groups/mixpanel-partners-48

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Hi @cherise 

My idea is to implement Group Analytics in a Unity project but I couldn't find any documentation. In any case I´ll post it in the Partners Group which I did´t know! 

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

I know @robin is getting started with Group Analytics, but not sure if they are using Unity. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Hello @cherise, @ivanmuniz,

Currently I’m struggling to use group with Segment. 

But may be I can help, @ivanmuniz. Can you write here your issues?

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Thank you @cherise !

Hi @robin I have never implemented Group Analytics on a project and it´s difficult to see what is the difference between a group and a cohort. Or why is different from breaking an event by Company Name (which is a way to group users too), and this type of cases… So I think that a post or a video with practical cases would be very valuable for the community (more when it is a paid add on). 

Besides, I have doubts if am I able to implement Group Analytics on Unity.

Thank you both again! 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

I don’t have Unity experience but can help you with the other questions. Group Analytics gives you the ability to create other types of profiles instead of just user profiles. Its really powerful when your users are tied to a formal group such as a team, company, organization, project or environment.

You can then define properties on the group, using a team as an example, you can give it a team name, team size, etc much like you could with a user profile.  Often times you may have data in other systems inaccessible by your application, this allows you to define and shape these profiles outside of your application.   

Another big feature is that you can analyze Uniques by groups instead of  just users.  Using “team” again as an example, you can answer the total number of teams that performed an action.  So without groups you could use an Insight report and break down by team name to get a total count of teams.  The advantages to groups is that you will be able to see more than 10,000 teams, you will be able create line graph showing number of team over time, and you’ll be able to create total team count dashboard.  Retention reporting can report retention by “teams” instead of just users.

As far as corhorts go, I’ve found I can typically build the same cohorts using a user cohort vs a group cohort. There’s generally not much benefit unless your group has a profile property that isn’t tracked on the event. 

If your reporting on uniques you can only use cohort of the same type. You cannot report on uniques by users and use a group cohort. Which is likely the main reason you may need to create a cohort of a certain type.  

Mixpanel