Solved

Identify/Merge

Hi,

We have the following scenario, and it would be great if someone could help me.
In our app, the user can continue as a guest, but for some features, the user has to create an account. I would like to track conversion time from continuing as a guest to create an account, and also conversation ratio (the funnel) from continuing as a guest to create an account.
I went through the documentation, and theoretically, as I understand, we should not call .identify on these users who continue as a guest and only call .identify on signup or login. My question is how in the later stage to link guests then later create an account?

Best,

Josif

icon

Best answer by Muffaddal Qutbuddin 31 May 2021, 08:54

@Josif , Alias was the old way of identity management. It had some issues. 

With newer updates call identify whenever user id/email is available. 

read here for more details

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Hello @Josif, Mixpanel will be able to connect the guest user with login user itself. You only have to call identity on login and signup and rest Mixpanel can handle.

Hi @Muffaddal Qutbuddin  , thank you very much for your answer. Our mistake was that we called identity function even when the user continues as a guest. In the meantime, we integrate and solve this with create alias function. I think that your solution is smarter, but I think that both options will provide the same results? 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

@Josif , Alias was the old way of identity management. It had some issues. 

With newer updates call identify whenever user id/email is available. 

read here for more details

@Muffaddal Qutbuddin one more time, thank u for your help.

Probably you are right, but with calling identify I’m not really able to truck users behavior through the app that come as a guest, because with identify I will convert them just when they create an account. What we did is that we created two alias, so we are able to truck guests, but also in the same time we are able to truck guests when they convert into users that create an account. What do you think about this?

Mixpanel